These zucchini chocolate chip cookies are made with almond and coconut flour, and loaded with chocolate chips and shredded zucchini! Soft, chewy and loaded with chocolate chips, this easy recipe takes less than 15 minutes to make! Keto, Vegan, Paleo, and Gluten-Free.
There is nothing better than a soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie, especially if it’s an excuse to add some vegetable in it. They are perfect for a quick dessert, a healthy dessert to bring to parties or even pot lucks.
The best part about these chocolate chip zucchini cookies is that they are secretly healthy! Made without sugar and without grains, they are keto, low carb, and paleo-friendly. They are also made without eggs, perfect for those on a vegan and gluten-free diet.
How to make zucchini chocolate chip cookies
- The first step is to preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper or a Silpat cookie sheet.
- Shred your zucchini finely, then remove all excess liquid from it. You don’t want the cookies to be under-baked.
- Then, you’ll add your dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Stir well, until combined.
- In a seperate small bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix those well together.
- You’ll then combine your wet and dry ingredients, and then mix until fully incorporated.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold through your shredded zucchini and chocolate chips. If the batter is a little too crumbly, add a dash of milk.
- Using your hands, form 12 balls with the cookie dough. Place the balls of dough onto the lined pan and press each one into a cookie shape. The cookies will not spread much. Top the cookies with a few extra chocolate chips.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, until ‘just’ cooked.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let sit on the pan for 10 minutes, before gently transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Storing zucchini chocolate chip cookies
You can either store these chocolate chip zucchini cookies at room temperature, the fridge and even the freezer!
Store the room temperature cookies in a sealed container or on a plate covered completely. Cookies kept at room temperature will keep for up to 5 days.
Cookies are best stored in the fridge, as they will keep fresh longer. Keep the cookies in a sealed container. They will remain fresh for up to 7 days.
Can you freeze zucchini chocolate chip cookies
Zucchini chocolate chip cookies are freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer to remain fresh for up to 6 months.
Be sure to wrap the cookies in parchment paper and place in a ziplock bag.
To enjoy cookies from the freezer, allow thawing completely at room temperature.v
Tips and Tricks for PERFECT Chocolate chip zucchini cookies
- Be sure to remove all excess liquid from the zucchini, otherwise, you’ll find the cookies soggy in the center
- Do NOT overbake the cookies, as they continue to cook as they cool. Remove them when they seem ‘just’ done.
- Reserve some chocolate chips to top the cookies with
- These cookies will not spread, so don’t be afraid to form them into a cookie shape while on the pan.
More healthy cookie recipes
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups Blanched almond flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce * See notes
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup keto maple syrup can substitute for pure maple syrup or agave nectar, if not keto
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips of choice Use sugar free chocolate chips for keto
- 1/4 cup shredded zucchini Approximately 1 large zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or prepare a Silpat cookie sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well. In a seperate small bowl, add your wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Combine your wet and dry ingredients and mix until just combined. If the batter is crumbly, add extra applesauce (or a small amount of milk). Fold through your chocolate chips and shredded zucchini.
- Using your hands, form 12 small balls of dough and place on the cookie sheet. Press into a cookie shape and top with extra chocolate chips. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until just golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on the tray for 10 minutes, before carefully transferring to a wire rack until completely cool.