This chewy no bake protein bar recipe takes 1 bowl and 5 minutes of prep to have a batch of high protein snack bars on hand- These delicious and healthy bars are refined sugar free, dairy free and gluten free- Suitable for a vegan diet!
Happy Sunday folks! Being the 22nd of the month means it’s once again time for the Recipe Redux! I think for the first time in a long time, it’s fallen on a Sunday which is new for me but fits well with sharing a recipe too!
This month’s theme was all about a pairing with chocolate.
The first thought that came into mind was without a doubt my favourite combination which was chocolate and peanut butter. Secondly, it was chocolate and coconut. Then of course it wandered into the realms of chocolate and raspberry, followed by going hardcore and salivating over WHITE chocolate and raspberry. My phone buzzed with a message and it was my friend Andria, who you might remember from here asking to catch up for breakfast the next week. Immediately, I scrapped both those ideas as I had one in mind- Chocolate and Mint.
How might this be related to Andria? Well, here’s the backstory.
Andria and I try to see one another as often as possible, and nine times out of ten, it’s usually surrounding a meal of some sort. What is ALWAYS a guarantee whenever I see her is a pit stop at a novelty chocolate shop (or one which has unique chocolate from around the world) in which she will stock up on Junior Mints.
To say Andria is obsessed with Junior Mints is an understatement. I remember one time we went to a cheap chocolate/candy store which had a tonne of chocolate which were close to nearing their ‘best before’ date. Junior Mints were on sale for $2 a box (Usually around $4.50-$5…..damn American postage). Adria stocked up and bought around 5 or 6 boxes, saying half was for her aunty.
What a good niece right?
The next time we caught up, we once again went to buy some junior mints. I asked Andria if her aunty appreciated them and she said she ate them all. Within a week.
Never have I had such respect for Andria than when the time she arrived 15 minutes early to an event (That in itself is another story). Life lessons from this story? Real chocolate lovers never share their favourites with others. Ever.
Now for the recipe- As usual, I’ve gone the no bake route because I love minimal prep time, get satisfaction from pressing the ‘batter’ into a pan using my hands. These No bake mint chocolate chip protein bars are the perfect grab and go snack between meals or for those fitness buffs- Before or after a workout. What I love most about these bars is they don’t need refrigeration after they’ve set- So many times I’ve made recipes in the past where I keep a bar in my briefcase or backpack and it turns into a McFlurry minus all the happiness.
These chewy no bake mint chocolate chip protein bars are many things besides delicious. High in protein, gluten free, dairy free and completely vegan- You bet there are some of these babies set aside for the forthcoming vegan month. They take barely any time to prep and the annoying part is waiting for it to set- Maybe whip your hair back and forth for 15 minutes. I recommend you to crush the crispy rice cereal when you mix it because the texture is pretty epic and they hold up better but that’s your choice. For those not a fan of protein powder, that’s completely optional too. I think I’ve touched all the bases so now you have no excuses.
Chewy No Bake Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Bars? I think so.
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup gluten free oat bran (can sub for more oats)
- 2 cups gluten free crispy rice cereal (I used a cocoa flavoured one)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 scoop protein powder of choice*
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener of choice**
- 1/2 cup nut butter of choice (I used homemade nutella)
- 1/2 cup + 1 T brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp peppermint extract***
- Dairy free milk****
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips, divided
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, oat bran, cocoa powder, protein powder, crispy rice cereal and sweetener of choice.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the nut butter of choice with the brown rice syrup and heat until the mixture is melted completely.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and add the peppermint extract and stir until combined. Allow to cool slightly and stir through half the chocolate chips and mix very well. If mixture is not 'batter like', slowly add dairy free milk very slowly until one is formed.
- Line a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with baking paper. Pour the mixture into the pan and press firmly with your hands evenly. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight. Remove from the pan and cut into 8-10 bars.
- * If you do not use protein powder, add an extra 2-3 tablespoons of oat bran or oats
- ** If protein powder is unsweetened or you prefer a sweeter bar
- *** The brand I used here in Australia is very strong- Adjust depending on brand
- **** Only use milk if your batter cannot be picked up by hand and pressed firmly into the pan
Want some other healthy no bake chocolate snack recipes?
No Bake Chocolate Protein Rice Crispy Treats (Vegan, Gluten Free)
No Bake Coconut Chocolate Rice Crispy Bites (Vegan, Gluten Free)
Healthy No Bake White Chocolate and Raspberry Protein Cookies (Vegan, Gluten Free, Sugar Free)
No Bake Chocolate and Raspberry Truffles (Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free)
Are you a fan of the chocolate and mint combination?
Is your favourite chocolate worth sharing with others? NO.
Keep in touch with me:
Twitter -> @thebigmansworld
Instagram – > thebigmansworld
Facebook – > thebigmansworld
Pinterest -> thebigmansworld
Bloglovin’ -> thebigmansworld