This healthy lemon poppyseed muffin takes just one minute to make in the microwave but also comes with a tested oven option too! It’s light and fluffy on the inside while being tender on the outside- A naturally gluten free, paleo and sugar free recipe with a tested vegan option too!
It’s the first group round-up of 2016!!!!
I’m back again with the crew (Linds, Julia, Sarah, Kylie and
Borat Alexis!) to share recipes surrounding a particular theme! This month, we got a little bit sour and went with CITRUS!
To be completely honest, I’ve never been the biggest fan of citrus in sweet recipes. I’m all for lemon/lime in my savory dishes (hello, salmon!) but sweet- It’s a whole new ball game. Last year went I went through my ‘recreate Starbucks recipes’ phase, I did share an iced lemon pound cake but since then?
The other day, I had plans to go hiking with a friend in West Hollywood. I didn’t time myself well and skipped breakfast. I clearly couldn’t even walk, let alone hike UP A HILL for several hours with no sustenance so I stopped at a gas station nearby to grab a breakfast sandwich or something.
They didn’t have any BUT they did have these bakery style muffins. I asked the service operator if these were freshly made he pretty much laughed. Clearly they weren’t homemade but they were giant and looked amazing so I got one. I thought I choose the apple cinnamon one but on closer inspection, it was lemon poppyseed.
Fail. Bloody. Whale.
I didn’t want to go back in questioning this man’s muffins so I ripped it open, dug in and polished the entire thing off in 5 minutes flat. I don’t think I’d ever had such a good packaged muffin in my life- It was sweet, fluffy and tender! I kicked myself for scoffing at lemons and baked goods together! I took a look at the ingredients and…….well, my sister’s definition of packaged banana bread would be handy here- It was totally a fake muffin made up solely of butter, sugar and flour.
THAT WAS IT.
The moral of the story? Eat gas station muffins.
You will OWN the mountains when you hike them after. Just saying.
Okay, so this faux lemon poppyseed muffin inspired today’s recipe because while delicious, I totally needed to give it a healthy makeover without sacrificing on taste! Before sharing this delicious 1 minute lemon poppyseed muffin, let’s see what my friends have on their citric palates!
Alexis shares these Lemon Coconut Baked Oatmeal Cups
Julia shares this Mandarin Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing
Sarah shares this Orange Avocado Smoothie
Lindsay shares these small batch Lemon Raspberry Bars
Kylie shares this Grapefruit Baked Oatmeal with Walnut Streusel
Now for my recipe….
A delicious, healthy 1 minute lemon poppyseed muffin!
This healthy 1 minute lemon poppyseed muffin is light and fluffy on the inside, while being tender on the outside- You’d seriously think it was one of those gas station bakery style muffins! Unlike traditional muffins, these have no butter, oil, white flour or sugar in the entire recipe- NADA! It takes less than 5 minutes to prep and if you use a microwave, a simple one minute zap and you’re done. For those without a microwave, check out the toaster oven/oven option- That works just as well. This muffin is also suitable for those following a gluten free, paleo and sugar free lifestyle, and comes with a tested vegan option too!
HACK! Make a cheeky coconut butter ‘frosting’ on top and add a little lemon juice to it- It helps the icing stick to the muffin, while sticking with the theme.
Make this healthy 1 minute lemon poppyseed muffin and I think I owe the citrus in desserts combo an apology.
You’ve won me over.
- 1 T almond flour
- 1 1/2 T coconut flour, sifted
- 1-2 T granulated sweetener of choice (I used a stevia blend)*
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2-1 tsp lemon zest (can use a citrus zest)
- 1 large egg or egg white (sub for 1 flax egg to keep it vegan)
- 1 T + dairy free milk of choice**
- Drop lemon extract
- 1 T coconut butter
- 1 T granulated sweetener of choice
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 T dairy free milk of choice
- In a small bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, granulated sweetener of choice, poppy seeds and baking powder and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the dairy free milk with the egg (or flax egg) and whisk with the lemon extract. Add the mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
- Grease a large mug or cereal bowl and pour the batter in it and microwave for at least 50 seconds, depending on the microwave.
- While it's cooling, make the icing by mixing all ingredients and drizzle over the top.
- Follow directions as above but bake in an oven at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- * Adjust to desired sweetness- I prefer my glaze to be sweeter than the cake
- ** Depending on the coconut flour you use, you may need less/more. Adjust accordingly
Are you a fan of citrus desserts?
What is your hiking fuel? GAS STATION DONUTS
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - email@example.com
Snapchat - thebigmansworld