This healthy low carb chocolate mug cake is moist, fluffy and ready in less than a minute- Satisfy your sweet tooth with this protein packed recipe! It’s also naturally gluten free, vegan, paleo, dairy free and sugar free recipe!
“You don’t deserve to go to Paris, you eat CARBS!”
I swear I will stop with ‘The Devil Wears Prada’ quotes. It’s been on repeat this last week.
It’s been a little bit quiet in this neck of the woods these last couple of days…but I have an excuse. My manuscript for my cookbook is due in under a week, and I’m putting the final touches to the content. I grossly underestimated my capabilities and time management, thinking the recipe write-ups would be the easier part.
Try deciphering hand written recipes on random pieces of paper, many of them covered in melted chocolate chips and/or flour. Throw in some recipe re-dos and re-shoots and it’s just a little bit hectic. Saying that, I can’t believe how close I am to having my first draft submitted- It still feels like yesterday that I had started work on it!
Anyway, enough rambling going on.
Today’s recipe was created upon a reader’s request, something I had meant to do a little more regularly on here. A popular request is for more lower carb recipes, bonus if they are sweet tooth inclined AND single serve.
Well, this fits the bill perfectly- It’s low carb, single serve and perfect to keep that sweet tooth in check. I find that recipes using protein powder(s) are very hit and miss- Get the proportions wrong, and you’ll be gifted with a hockey puck. Get the proportions right, you’ll be rewarded with a delicious sweet treat, low in carbs, yet high in flavor!
Okay, before I start thrown in more Devil Wears Prada quotes, how about the recipe?
This healthy low carb chocolate mug cake is your answer to a quick sweet fix using minimal ingredients AND packed with protein! It is a no mess, simple recipe which literally takes less than a minute zipped in the microwave! Don’t have a microwave? This totally works in the oven too! Simply follow the instructions as below, but bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, until the center comes out ‘just’ clean. Depending on which combination of ingredients used, this recipe is naturally gluten free, vegan, paleo, grain free and dairy free!
HACK! If you’ve been a long-term reader on here, you’ll know I always preach that no protein powder is created equal. This is totally the case here- If dietary restrictions aren’t an issue, I’d use this casein protein powder for best results. The vegan protein powder works just as well, but you may need to keep an eye on the cooking time slightly, as it has a knack for drying out sooner than the casein protein powder. Also tested was this paleo protein powder. Once again, it still works, but it was a little less sweet than both the casein and vegan protein powders.
Make this healthy one minute low carb chocolate mug cake and remember, you deserve to go to Paris.
…to eat carbs.
- 1 scoop protein powder (32-34 grams)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 T coconut flour
- 1 T granulated sweetener of choice*
- 1 T cocoa powder
- 1 large egg OR 1/4 cup liquid egg whites (see notes for Vegan option)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond)
- Chocolate chips to top (optional)
- Grease a microwave safe bowl with cooking spray and add the protein powder, baking powder, coconut flour, sweetener of choice, cocoa powder and mix well.
- Add the egg/whites and mix into the dry mixture. Add the milk of choice- If batter is too crumbly, continue adding milk of choice until a very thick batter is formed. Top with chocolate chips and microwave for 60 seconds, or until just cooked in the centre.
- Follow as above, but bake in the oven for 8-15 minutes, depending on consistency desired- Mug cake is cooked once a toothpick comes out 'just' clean from the center.
- * I omitted the sweetener as my protein powder was sweetened
- For the vegan option, you won't need any flax eggs/egg substitute- Simply omit and slowly add milk of choice until a thick batter is formed. Microwave/bake until 'just' cooked in the center.
What is a movie you can quote pretty well?
Do you ever enjoy low carb snacks/food?
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - email@example.com
Snapchat - thebigmansworld