This 2 ingredient pumpkin cake involves a spice cake mix and pumpkin puree and produces the most delicious cake! No oil, no butter, no milk, and no eggs needed, it’s perfectly moist and fluffy!
2 Ingredient Pumpkin Cake
Growing up, my mom would always make desserts and baked goods from scratch. Whether it be a wholesome loaf of banana bread or a decadent chocolate cake, she never took shortcuts and we could definitely tell- We would always go for seconds or thirds.
The one exception to her ‘baked from scratch’ rule was for her pumpkin spice cake. Mom’s pumpkin spice cake was NOT made from scratch and instead, used a boxed spice cake mix for the base. The interesting thing though, is, the cake mix was only used as a base, and was mixed with pumpkin puree. Instead, it produced the most fluffy and delicious pumpkin spice cake!
Spice cake mix and pumpkin- it’s magic!
No, your eyes aren’t deceiving you. This magical recipe needs just two ingredients, which are a boxed spice cake mix and pumpkin puree. It’s a surefire way to satisfy a pumpkin spice cake craving, minus all the mixing bowls and prep time needed.
No eggs, no oil, and no butter are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is perfectly moist and fluffy and has a gorgeous tender crumb. It’s sweet and full of pumpkin spice flavor, it’s perfect for pumpkin dessert lovers!
I had some friends over for coffee the other day and served them this cake and NO ONE believed me when I told them it was made with just 2 ingredients- They were shocked!
How do you make a pumpkin spice cake?
- Spice cake mix– The best cake mix to use, as it already has delicious spices in them, like cinnamon and nutmeg. You can use any white or yellow cake mix too, but be sure to add some pumpkin pie spice for extra flavor.
- Pumpkin puree– Unsweetened pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
- Vanilla frosting– Optional, but what good cake goes without frosting?
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix and pumpkin puree until smooth. Transfer into an 8 x 8-inch pan and bake for 25-27 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool completely, before frosting.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Do not overbake the cake as it continues to cook as it is cooling down. Once a toothpick or skewer comes out mostly clean, it is fine to be removed from the oven.
- If you use a non-spice cake mix, add some fall spices, like cinnamon and/or nutmeg and ginger.
- Feel free to fold through some chopped walnuts or pecans for some added texture.
Storing and freezing pumpkin spice cake
- To store: Cake will keep at room temperature, covered, for up to 3 days. If you’d like the cake to keep longer, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- To freeze: Place leftovers in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More pumpkin dessert recipes to try
2 Ingredient Pumpkin Spice Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the spice cake mix and pumpkin puree until smooth.
- Transfer the batter into the lined pan and bake for 25-27 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool completely, before frosting.