These 2 ingredient pumpkin muffins are moist, fluffy, and taste like pumpkin pie! Made with spiced cake mix and pumpkin puree, there is NO oil, NO butter, NO eggs, and NO milk needed!
2 Ingredient Pumpkin Muffins
As someone who makes plenty of desserts (sometimes on a daily basis), I LOVE myself a shortcut. If you’ve checked out some of my other recipes, you’ll notice I try to use as few ingredients as possible without sacrificing taste. However, I’ve recently come across a genius hack that can reduce the ingredient list of many baked goods using one key ingredient- cake mix!
Pumpkin muffins with cake mix
I’ve never been someone to use cake mix for their intended purpose. The thought of making a cake from a box sounds like an easy way out, especially since many of my cakes are pretty much foolproof (like the vanilla cake or chocolate cake). However, they’ve been a game changer with these pumpkin muffins.
This 2 ingredient pumpkin muffin recipe is no joke and literally needs just two ingredients- cake mix and pumpkin puree (or canned pumpkin). It produces perfectly moist and fluffy muffins that taste like pumpkin pie. No eggs, no butter, and no oil needed.
The beauty of these muffins is that they are easily customizable with your favorite mix-ins and any cake mix works!
How do you make 2 ingredient pumpkin muffins
- Cake mix– It’s best to use a spice cake mix, like Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker. Both these brands have no eggs or dairy in them, which are perfect for a vegan diet. You can also use vanilla or yellow cake mix, but you would benefit from adding pumpkin spice.
- Pumpkin puree– Either canned unsweetened pumpkin or homemade pumpkin puree. Do not use pumpkin pie filling!
- Mix-ins– Optional, but feel free to fold through some chocolate chips or chopped walnuts.
Start by adding the cake mix and pumpkin puree into a mixing bowl and whisk together until combined. If adding nuts or chocolate chips, fold them through at the end. Next, transfer the batter into a greased and lined 12-count muffin tin lined with muffin liners.
Now, bake the muffins in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out mostly clean. Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool in their pans for 10 minutes, before carefully transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Dietary and flavor variations
These pumpkin muffins are easy to customize and be suitable for several diets!
- Keep them vegan. Most cake mixes are made without dairy or eggs, provided they are the ones recommended above. Other cake mixes may contain traces of dairy/eggs, so double check before using them.
- Make them gluten free. Use a gluten free cake mix, like Krusteaz or Namaste.
- Add fall-inspired spices. While spice cake mixes have cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger in them, you can always add more to amp up the flavor.
- Change up the mix-ins. Chocolate chips and walnuts are two fantastic additions to pumpkin flavored baked goods, but other nuts, seeds, or raisins are all great options!
- Make them cupcakes! Turn any good muffin into cupcakes by adding some cream cheese or vanilla frosting on top.
Storing and freezing pumpkin muffins
- To store: Pumpkin muffins will keep at room temperature, covered, for up to three days. If you’d like them to keep longer, store them in the refrigerator and they will keep fresh for up to one week.
- To freeze: Place leftover muffins in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More 2 ingredient recipes to try
2 Ingredient Pumpkin Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a 12-count muffin tin with muffin liners and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine your cake mix with pumpkin puree and mix well, until a smooth batter remains. Fold through the walnuts, if using them.
- Evenly distribute the batter amongst the 12 muffin liners. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes in the pan, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.