These almond butter bars are a simple and delicious flourless dessert made with just 5 ingredients! No refined sugar and no dairy needed, they are sure to impress!
Almond Butter Bars
I love a good dessert made with simple ingredients. The fewer the ingredients, the more likely it is for me to whip it up. As someone who bakes plenty of keto and gluten free recipes, you’ll rarely find any flour or wheat based products in my pantry. That suits me fine, as I LOVE some good flourless desserts.
Whenever I have friends coming over for dinner or coffee, I always make sure to keep my offerings gluten free. This is great with my flourless dessert range, as I have a fair few of them up my sleeve. If I’m not making a flourless cake or a cookies, I’ll be making some dessert bars.
I’ve been meaning to share an almond butter bars recipe for quite some time. They are a simple and delicious flourless dessert made with just 5 ingredients. I mean, anytime I have homemade almond butter on hand, I always make extra to whip a batch of these bars up!
Now, these bars may look incredibly fancy, but I promise you, they are very simple and need just 5 ingredients to make! No flour, no refined sugar, and no dairy are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is extremely gooey and soft in the middle, with a light and tender crumb. They are sweet and with a light almond flavor, without being overpowering.
I had some friends over for coffee the other day and I served them these bars, and NO ONE believed me when I told them these were flourless- They thought it was a sugar loaded dessert!
How do you make almond butter bars?
- Almond butter– Smooth and creamy almond butter, with no added sugar. You can use some almond butter with added salt, as it will bring out the natural sweetness of the bars.
- Maple syrup OR honey– Gives the bars sweetness, along with an extra gooey texture.
- Eggs OR flax eggs– Either eggs or flax eggs can be used. Use the latter if you’d like these to be vegan.
- Baking soda– Gives the bars some stability and a tiny bit of rising.
- Chocolate– Chopped up chocolate to ensure there are pools of chocolate throughout.
Start by whisking together all your ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, into a large mixing bowl. Once a smooth batter remains, fold through the chocolate chips. Next, transfer the mixture into a greased and lined 9 x 13-inch pan. Place the pan into a preheated oven and bake at 180C/350F for 25-27 minutes, or until crisp on the outside. Remove the bars from the oven and let them cool completely, before slicing up.
Tips to make the best chocolate almond butter bars
- If you’d like to make these bars nut free, replace the almond butter with either smooth tahini or sunflower seed butter.
- Do not overbake the bars, as they are intended to be gooey and fudgy in the middle.
- For a peanut butter version, make peanut butter blondies instead.
Storing and freezing almond butter cookie bars
- To store: These bars can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. The bars will keep well for at least 4 weeks.
- To freeze: Place leftover bars in a shallow container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More almond butter recipes to try
Almond Butter Bars
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all your ingredients, except for the chocolate, and whisk together until combined. Fold through the chopped chocolate.
- Transfer the batter into the lined pan and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until tender on top and gooey in the middle.
- Remove the bars from the oven and let them cool completely, before slicing.