This almond butter cookies recipe is simple, delicious, and needs just 3 ingredients! No flour needed, they take minutes to make and melt in your mouth!
Need a simple and delicious cookie recipe that you can make in your sleep?
You need these almond butter cookies.
Inspired by our popular peanut butter cookies, we switched out the peanut butter for the almond variety and just between us, tastes so much better.
Unlike peanut butter, almond butter isn’t overpowering and lends itself to plenty of baked goods and desserts, like brownies and cookie bars. When used for cookies, it gives an almost butter-like flavor, without all the extra grease.
Soft, chewy, and crisp around the edges, these nail it in the texture department. The cookies themselves are sweet, and taste even better with some chocolate chips mixed through and a sprinkle of salt on top. Needing just 3 ingredients to make, you’ve got no excuses not to try them out!
Cookies are simple creatures: minimal ingredients and minimal kitchen gadgets to use. These have no flour or grains in them, so are super foolproof. Here is what you’ll need for almond butter cookies:
- Almond butter. smooth almond butter, not the crunchy type. If you have a pack of raw almonds on hand, make your own!
- Eggs. room temperature eggs.
- Brown sugar. Keeps the cookies soft in the middle but crisp around the edges. You can also use coconut sugar or mix it with white sugar (for slightly firmer cookies).
- Chocolate chips. Optional, but take these cookies to another level.
Almond butter cookies are easy to make: the only thing to remember is to mix everything thoroughly, so the almond butter and sugar are well mixed. Here’s the basic idea to make cookies (or see the recipe below for specifics):
- Mix: Add the almond butter, eggs, and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix well. Fold through the chocolate chips, if using them.
- Roll and shape: Using your hands, roll out balls of cookie dough and place them on a lined baking sheet. Lightly press down each ball of cookie dough into a thick cookie shape.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are firm to touch. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool completely.
Tips for success
- Always use smooth almond butter. This mixes easily and creates smooth and even cookies. Do not use crunchy or natural almond butter, as it will be too stiff.
- Room temperature eggs are a must. Refrigerated eggs firms up the almond butter, which will make it difficult to mix.
- Lightly wet hands before rolling into balls. This prevents bits of cookie dough from sticking to your fingers and helping you create a more uniform dough.
- Add baking soda. While unnecessary, this helps produce thicker cookies.
Dietary and substitutions
Almond butter cookies are super forgiving and are easy to customize for various diets or eating styles. You can also try out some tested substitutions:
- Make them without eggs, by trying out an egg substitute.
- For keto almond butter cookies, swap the sugar for a keto brown sugar.
- Substitute the almond butter for cashew butter, peanut butter, or tahini.
- Chill the dough for an hour beforehand for extra thick and chewy cookies.
- Add mix-ins like raisins, dried fruit, nuts, or seeds.
What is the best way to store almond butter cookies? Here are the best practices for cookie storage:
- Up to 5 days: Store cookies at room temperature, covered.
- 1-2 weeks: Refrigerate the cookies if you’d like to keep them longer than 5 days.
- Up to 6 months: Place cookies in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
- Keto chocolate chip cookies
- Vegan chocolate chip cookies
- Almond flour cookies
- Protein cookies
Frequently Asked Questions
Almond butter isn’t an accurate swap for butter in cookies or any dessert recipe. You’d be best to use one of these butter substitutes instead.
Pre-make the cookie dough up to five days in advance and keep it refrigerated. Let the dough sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
While made with almond butter, these cookies don’t have an overpowering flavor at all and taste like any good cookie recipe.
Almond Butter Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all your ingredients until completely mixed. If using chocolate chips, fold through at the end.
- Form 12 balls of cookie dough and place on the lined tray/cookie sheet. Place balls of dough 2 inches apart. Press down on each ball into a cookie shape. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until just golden on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely on the cookie sheet.