Keto peanut butter cookie bars are one of my new favorite healthy dessert recipes! Thick, chewy and gooey peanut butter bars loaded with chocolate chips, but made without eggs, without grains, and without sugar! A quick and easy dessert ready in under 20 minutes! Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Cookie recipes are clearly my favorite kind of recipes to make. Is there anything better than soft, chewy and delicious cookies loaded with a variety of goodies, like chocolate chips, fresh strawberries or shredded zucchini?
Well, yes there is.
Have you ever made cookie bars before? Cookie bars are all the best parts of cookies, but prepared in a much easier and simple to prepare!
Can peanut butter cookies be made into bars?
When a reader asked if they could simply make my peanut butter cookie into bars, I was intrigued and wanted to try it out myself.
Unfortunately, they didn’t work out as well and the cookie bars came out too thick, brittle and fell apart when sliced, almost like cookie dough.
Not all peanut butter cookies can be made into bars unless ingredients and proportions are altered.
Instead of simply using my basic peanut butter cookie recipe and making it into bar form, I started from scratch.
Peanut Butter Cookie Bars Recipe
These peanut butter cookie bars will be a new favorite recipe of yours! Unlike traditional cookies and cookie bar recipes, these are secretly healthy! You won’t find any sugar, any grains or any dairy, but you’d never tell.
It’s also made without eggs! As it is an eggless recipe, these peanut butter chocolate chip cookie bars are paleo, vegan and gluten-free!
Not only that, these cookie bars are secretly protein packed and highly nutritious! Nutrition wise, it’s high protein, sugar low carb and packed with fiber.
How to make peanut butter cookie bars
- Prepare the flax egg first so it has time to set and form a gel.
- Bake the cookie bars in an 8 x 8-inch pan, so the bars will be nice and thick.
- Combine your dry ingredients and your wet ingredients separately, before combining them together.
- Fold in your chocolate chips, along with reserving a few to top the cookie bars with.
- Bake the cookie bars until golden on the outside and a toothpick comes out ‘just’ clean from the center.
- Allow the cookie bars to cool completely in the pan, before slicing up into bars
How to make a perfect flax egg
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of water
- In a small mixing bowl, combine your ground flaxseed with the water and whisk well.
- Set aside for 10 minutes, until a gel is formed.
Peanut Butter Substitutions
To make these cookie bars without peanut butter (necessary to ensure this is paleo friendly), you can substitute it with another nut butter or a nut-free spread.
Storing peanut butter cookie bars
Can you keep these bars at room temperature? YES! These cookie bars can be stored at room temperature. Ensure they are either in a sealed container or on a plate covered in plastic wrap. They will keep at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Can you refrigerate them? Cookie bars are best stored in the fridge, as they will keep longer and have a much chewier texture. Refrigerated cookie bars will keep for at least 2 weeks.
Can you freeze them? Peanut Butter Cookie bars are freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer. Wrap each cookie bar individually in parchment paper and place in a ziplock or freezer bag.
If enjoying a cookie bar from the freezer, allow thawing completely at room temperature.
For thick and chewy cookie bars- Enjoy either directly from the fridge.
For soft and gooey cookie bars- Enjoy at room temperature, or heat up in the microwave or oven until warm and gooey.
These cookie bars would also be perfect with a scoop of keto vanilla ice cream or keto chocolate ice cream or even crumbled over some keto oatmeal!
More healthy peanut butter recipes
- Peanut Butter No Bake Balls
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Balls
- Peanut Butter Truffles
- Low Carb Peanut Butter Bars
- Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare your flax egg by combining your ground flaxseed with 2 1/2 tablespoons of water. Allow sitting for 10 minutes, until a gel is formed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well. In a seperate small bowl, combine your flax egg, peanut butter, coconut milk, and vanilla extract and mix very well.
- Combine your wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix well, until fully combined. Fold through your chocolate chips, reserving a few to top the cookie bars with.
- Pour the cookie bar batter into the lined pan and spread out evenly. Top with chocolate chips and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick comes out the center 'just' clean.
- Remove cookie bars from the oven and allow to cool in the pan completely, before slicing into bars.