This homemade millionaire shortbread features a buttery crust, gooey caramel filling, and a thick layer of chocolate. They make the best no bake caramel dessert.
Why you’ll love this Millionaire shortbread recipe
- Easy to make. Unlike most millionaire shortbread recipes, this one involves NO baking, so it comes together in no time!
- Incredible texture. Like a Twix bar or caramel slice, this recipe involves three epic layers of deliciousness that will leave you craving more!
- Easy to customize. This is a very forgiving recipe, and you can use any fillings you like, including store bought caramel, one diet friendly ones (we’ve tried both vegan caramel and keto caramel!).
- Perfect to make ahead. This is the kind of dessert you can use for bake sales, office parties, or potlucks, and are always a guaranteed hit!
What is Millionaire Shortbread
Often referred to as caramel shortbread or millionaire’s slice, Millionaire’s bars are a popular dessert consisting of 3 layers.
The first layer is a shortbread base, the second (middle) layer is gooey caramel, and the final layer is, of course, chocolate!
How to make Millionaire’s shortbread
- Coconut Flour, A naturally raw flour that has a cake-like texture when combined with wet ingredients.
- Coconut Oil. Use refined coconut oil to ensure no coconut flavor.
- Maple Syrup. Helps provide a dash of sweetness and also helps hold the shortbread together.
- Homemade caramel. I like using the sweetened condensed milk caramel trick for the caramel filling (similar to Dulce de leche). You can use any caramel you like!
- Chocolate. I like to use semi-sweet chocolate as the filling is plenty sweet, and the subtle darkness balances it out perfectly, but milk chocolate will work.
- Coconut oil. Adding a dash of coconut oil to the chocolate will make it easier to bite into once set.
- Prepare the shortbread base. In a large mixing bowl, stir the coconut flour, coconut oil, and maple syrup. Transfer to a lined pan and spread out evenly. Place it in the freezer to firm up.
- Prepare the caramel filling. While the crust is firming up, prepare your caramel or prep the store bought caramel.
- Add caramel to the base. Remove the shortbread base and pour the caramel over it. Place back in the freezer.
- Add the chocolate. Melt your chocolate with coconut oil. Remove the pan from the freezer and add the chocolate mixture on top of it, spreading it out all over the caramel. Place in the fridge to chill and firm up.
- Slice and enjoy! Remove the chilled Millionaire Shortbread Bars from the fridge and slice into pieces.
To store: Place the bars on a plate and cover in plastic wrap. Alternatively, you can store them in a sealable container. These shortbread bars will keep fresh stored in the fridge for up to two weeks.
To freeze: After they have been sliced, wrap them in parchment paper and place them in a ziplock bag. Frozen caramel shortbread bars will keep well for up to 6 months.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Chef’s knife. A must for any kitchen and a must to slice this dessert up.
- Square pan. The perfect sized pan to hold all three layers easily.
- Mixing bowls. To make the shortbread crust.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Line the pan. Always line the pan with parchment paper for easy removal and also easy cleanup!
- Thicken the chocolate. If you’d prefer a thicker chocolate topping, swap out the coconut oil for heavy cream. This will be more like a ganache.
- Chill between layers. It is super important to chill the bars between each layer so there is enough time for it all to firm up.
- Slice with a warm, sharp knife. Using a sharp and warm knife will make it so much easier to cut the millionaire shortbread up. Because there are three layers, it can be a little more cumbersome, but prepping your knife first will make it easy!
- 1 cup caramel *
- 1 cup chocolate chopped
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Line a square pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your coconut flour, melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Mix well, until combined. Transfer the batter to the lined pan and spread out evenly. Place in the freezer.
- Prepare your caramel, or choose a thick store-bought caramel sauce in a can. Spread it over the shortbread crust and place it back in the freezer.
- Melt your chocolate with the coconut oil. Once melted, let sit for several minutes, before pouring over the top of the caramel layer. Spread out evenly before refrigerating until the chocolate has firmed up.
- Slice into bars and enjoy.
Frequently asked questions
Slightly wet a knife, and dry it using a kitchen towel. Slice the bars carefully into 3 equal pieces. Slice through each piece twice, until 9 bars remain, then slice once more.
When made with homemade caramel or caramel sauce without any gluten, this recipe is suitable for celiacs.
If you’d prefer a more crumbly and tender crust, you can bake it in the oven for 15 minutes at 180C/350F. Let it cool completely before adding the caramel layer.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.