An easy recipe for soft and chewy paleo vegan chocolate chip cookies with coconut! Made without eggs and without dairy, these toasted coconut chocolate chip cookies are a game changer!
When I’m looking for an easy dessert option, I always turn to cookies. They are quick, easy and secretly healthy, and a great way to mix and match different ingredients. These chocolate chip coconut cookies feature toasted coconut flakes, and when paired with the chocolate chips, are a game-changer!
How to make coconut chocolate chip cookies
First, you’ll preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper or, a Silpat cookie sheet.
Then, you’ll organize your ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. In a separate small bowl, add your wet ingredients and mix well until combined. You’ll then combine the wet and dry ingredients together.
Using a rubber spatula, fold through half your chocolate chips and toasted coconut flakes in. The other half will be used to place on top of the cookies!
Using your hands or a small cookie scoop, form 12 balls of cookie dough. Place on the lined tray (or Silpat mat) and press each ball gently into a cookie shape. Top with extra chocolate chips and coconut flakes.
Next, you’ll bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are just golden brown, and just cooked. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray completely.
Tips and Tricks for PERFECT Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Sift your coconut flour and almond flour first, to ensure there are no clumps.
- Do not overbake the cookies- They will continue to cook as they cool down. Overbaking them will see the coconut flour burning very easily
- The cookies will not spread much, so ensure you press down on each one to a cookie shape.
- Avoid adding too many chocolate chips or coconut flakes, or the cookies may fall apart.
The best coconut flakes to add to cookie dough
There are several types of shredded coconut on the market. The best kind is toasted unsweetened coconut flakes. They have a delicious and light coconut flavor and gives the cookies a slight crunchy texture throughout.
Avoid using shredded coconut or finely shredded coconut, as it will burn very easily.
Storing Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
These chocolate chip cookies with coconut can keep well at room temperature, in a sealed container or covered in plastic wrap, for up to 5 days.
Coconut chocolate chip cookies can also be stored in the fridge and will keep fresh for up to 2 weeks.
Can you freeze coconut chocolate chip cookies
These cookies are freezer friendly and can be frozen to enjoy later.
Wrap the cookies in parchment paper and place in a ziplock bag or shallow container. Frozen cookies will keep fresh for up to 6 months.
To enjoy cookies from the freezer, allow thawing at room temperature.
More healthy Cookie Recipes
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourless Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Sugar-Free Flourless Cookies
Paleo Vegan Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup keto maple syrup can substitute for agave nectar or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce * See notes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup keto chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or prepare a Silpat cookie sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well. In a separate small bowl, add your wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Combine your wet and dry ingredients and mix until just combined. If the batter is crumbly, add extra applesauce (or a small amount of milk). Fold through your chocolate chips and toasted coconut flakes.
- Using your hands, form 12 small balls of dough and place on the cookie sheet. Press into a cookie shape and top with extra chocolate chips and coconut flakes. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until just golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on the tray completely.