This 4 ingredient banana bread is super moist, fluffy, and uses pantry staple ingredients.
We love all things banana bread.
While there are tons of delicious banana bread recipes out there, the fewer the ingredients, the better. Similar to our 3 ingredient version, we have today’s 4 ingredient banana bread that is incredible.
Why you’ll love this 4-ingredient banana bread recipe
- Only 4 ingredients. There is no need to create a mess in your kitchen just to bake banana bread. This recipe calls for only four ingredients for the most delicious banana loaf.
- Perfectly fluffy and moist. Despite being made of only four ingredients, this banana loaf turns out fluffy and moist just as we all like it.
- Works with your favorite add-ins. Whether you like chocolate in your banana bread or nuts, this recipe works perfectly as a blank canvas for all your banana bread preferences.
If you are always on the hunt for an easier banana bread recipe, look no further! A banana bread can’t get easier than this!
- Mashed Bananas. Choose overripe bananas for this recipe. They will provide a brighter and sweeter banana flavor as well result in a moister bread.
- Eggs. An important ingredient that provides the structure of the bread and gives the batter stability.
- Self-rising flour. As we are not using baking powder in this recipe, it is highly important to use self-rising flour. You can also make your own, combining salt, all purpose flour, and baking powder.
- Brown sugar. The mild caramel flavor of brown sugar makes it work perfectly for banana bread.
How to make 4 ingredient banana bread
As this banana bread is made with only four ingredients, it’s easy to guess that making it takes only a couple of minutes.
- Mix the bananas and eggs. Peel and mash the bananas with a fork or a potato masher. The bananas should be mashed into a smooth puree though having some lumps is certainly okay. Add them to a large bowl, along with the eggs, and whisk well until fully combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients. Next, measure and add the brown sugar and the self-rising flour. Mix to combine all ingredients.
- Bake. Pour the batter into a prepared loaf pan. You can spray the pan with cooking oil to prevent the bread from sticking to it. Bake for 55 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool and slice. Allow the banana bread to cool on a wire rack before you slice it and serve it.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Add vanilla extract. If you have vanilla extract at home, don’t hesitate to add a dash of it to the banana bread batter. It will enhance all flavors in the banana bread making it taste a lot richer.
- Bake the bananas if they are not ripe enough. Making banana bread with unripe bananas is not a good idea as they are not soft and sweet enough. If all you have is unripe bananas, peel them and roast them in the oven preheated to 300F degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix the ingredients in the right order. Not following the recipe directions and going out of order when mixing the ingredients may result in a wrong batter consistency and the banana bread may simply not turn out well.
- Line the loaf pan with parchment paper. Doing this prevents the banana bread from sticking to the pan and helps remove it easily and undamaged.
- Spices. Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, and cloves pair perfectly with banana bread and make it taste warmer and more aromatic.
- Chocolate. If no dessert is ever complete for you without chocolate, feel free to add some dark chocolate chips to the banana bread batter.
- Nuts. Chopped nuts, including walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, and pecans, are another great addition to banana bread.
- Orange zest. A small amount of orange zest added to the batter will brighten up the flavor of your banana bread. You can also try adding a small amount of freshly squeezed orange juice to the batter.
- Peanut butter. Banana and peanut butter are such a good combo, so swirl through some peanut butter throughout it.
To store. Store leftover banana bread in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days. There’s no need to refrigerate banana bread. Just make sure to keep it out of direct sunlight and heat sources.
To freeze. You can also freeze banana bread. Wrap it tightly with food wrap, put it in a zip-top bag, and freeze it for up to 6 months. Defrost banana bread on the counter or in the oven preheated to 350F degrees.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Loaf pan. A must for any good banana bread recipe.
- Mixing bowls. Every kitchen must-haves.
- Spatula. To seamlessly make the batter.
More banana bread recipes to try
- Chocolate chip banana bread
- Raspberry bread
- Blueberry banana bread
- Oatmeal banana bread
- Cinnamon swirl banana bread
Frequently asked questions
Overmixing the batter is one of the biggest mistakes you can make when making banana bread. You should mix the batter just enough to fully combine all ingredients. Overmixing the batter results in dense banana bread.
Yes, this recipe works to make muffins. See my 4 ingredient banana muffin recipe.
While you can make banana bread without baking soda, doing it is not a good idea as the banana bread may not rise well. If you don’t have baking soda, use baking powder instead.
To make this banana bread recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free self-rising flour. If you can’t find gluten-free self-rising flour in your local stores, make it yourself. Add 1.5 teaspoon of baking powder and ¼ teaspoon of salt to every cup of gluten-free flour and mix well.
4 Ingredient Banana Bread
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease or line a 9 x 4-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the bananas and mash well. Add the eggs, followed by the sugar and flour, until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.