These Apple Blondies are a soft and gooey dessert recipe made with healthy and wholesome ingredients! Tasting just like apple pie, these flourless blondies need just 5 ingredients to make.
Apple Pie Blondies
When Fall comes around, I am a fan of adding applesauce to everything and anything. These apple blondies are my current favorite, as they are so simple to make, and are full of warm, fall flavors.
Initially, my intentions were to make a healthy apple pie, but I really couldn’t be bothered making a crust. Besides I already have a fabulous apple pie recipe. Instead, I wanted to try and make a kind of bar dessert, a cross between a brownie and a dessert bar. Enter- These blondies!
Made with coconut flour and naturally sweetened, they are a low carb and healthy dessert recipe. It’s a simple one bowl recipe that is made without butter and without oil, but you’d never tell. Taste wise, they have all the flavors of any good apple pie, minus the crust. The texture is what makes this stand out- Soft, fudgy, and gooey in one.
How do you make apple blondies?
- Unsweetened applesauce- Using a mere 1/2 cup does not provide many additional carbs, making it suitable for a keto diet. Ensure your applesauce is 100% unsweetened.
- Almond butter- Smooth almond butter is perfect for the gooey texture. You can replace almond butter with either peanut butter or cashew butter.
- Keto Maple Syrup- Adds sweetness, but also keeps the blondies gooey and fudgy. If you don’t follow a strict keto diet, you can substitute this for pure maple syrup or agave nectar.
- Coconut Flour- This helps to hold the blondies together. I have not tried a substitution for this.
- Apple Pie Spice- Use either packaged apple pie spice or a homemade version (see below!)
- Granulated sweetener of choice (optional)– Add a sprinkle of your favorite granulated sweetener of choice on top of the bars, as they produce a gorgeous crust!
In a mixing bowl, add your coconut flour and apple pie spice and mix until combined. Next, heat up your almond butter and maple syrup in a small saucepan or microwave safe bowl. Once warm, add it to the dry mixture, along with the unsweetened applesauce, and mix until combined. Transfer the blondie mixture into an 8 x 8-inch pan. If desired, sprinkle with some sweetener. Bake at 180C/350F for 30 minutes, before removing from the oven and allowing to cool completely.
How do you make an apple pie spice?
If you can’t find packaged apple pie spice, easily make your own.
To make– 1/4 cup cinnamon, 2 teaspoons nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger.
Mix together and store in an airtight container or jar.
Tips and Tricks
- Once you remove it from the oven, it will still look undercooked. Allow it to cool completely and for the absolute best taste, refrigerate and enjoy cold- it tastes incredible this way.
- For added apple flavor, feel free to fold through some diced apples into the batter.
- For thicker blondies, add a little extra coconut flour.
- Drizzle the blondies with some caramel sauce for a delicious caramel apple flavor.
Storing and Freezing Apple Blondies
- To store: Apple pie blondies need to be stored in the refrigerator, to avoid them spoiling. Refrigerated blondies will keep for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place blondies in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More healthy desserts to try
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix very well until a very thick batter is formed.
- Transfer to the greased baking dish and top with the granulated sweetener of choice. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the tops are golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Refrigerate for at least an hour before slicing.