These healthy popsicles are a simple and quick homemade recipe made with just 3 ingredients! Made without dairy or refined sugar, they are easily customizable with your favorite fruits or flavors!
When it comes to healthy desserts, my favorite recipes to make are a carrot cake, apple cake, and these healthy popsicles.
Growing up, my mom would prefer homemade treats as opposed to store-bought ones. Not only were they more affordable and cost-effective, but they were often much healthier. My sister and I both adored popsicles, but a quick scan of some popular brands
Many popular popsicle brands are loaded with sugar and cream, and can often be super high in calories. My mom’s version was very different. Instead of adding sugar or cream to the mixture, she’d sweeten it with fruit juices and add some natural sweeteners, like honey or maple syrup, if needed. To this day, they remain one of my favorite healthy desserts, and I’m glad I stole the recipe from her!
I’ve been meaning to share a healthy popsicle recipe for quite some time. They are the perfect treat to make during the warmer months and they are so much better than store bought. Now, these homemade popsicles may look incredibly fancy but I promise you, they are so easy to make!
No refined sugar and no dairy are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is thick, creamy, and melts in your mouth. The popsicles are pleasantly sweet and full of juicy orange flavor, without any coconut flavor whatsoever!
I offered to help my friend babysit their two daughters the other day and we made homemade popsicles and they were HUGE fans- They thought they had a naughty treat!
How do you make popsicles?
- Coconut milk– You must use canned coconut milk, not the kind from a carton. I highly recommend full fat, so it remains creamy, but reduced fat versions will also work.
- Juice of choice– 100% freshly squeezed orange juice with no added sugar.
- Honey OR maple syrup– To sweeten the popsicles and make them even creamier.
Start by adding coconut milk, orange juice, and honey into a blender or food processor. Blend very well, until the mixture is completely smooth. Next, evenly distribute the mixture amongst 6 large or 8 small popsicle molds. Place the popsicles in the freezer for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
Once the popsicles have set, unmold them and enjoy them immediately.
Tips to make the best fruit popsicles
- These popsicles are not overly sweet, relying on a small amount of honey to intensify the sweetness. If you prefer sweeter popsicles, add 1-2 tablespoons of any granulated sweetener.
- If you use homemade orange juice, add some of the pulp for an even thicker texture.
- Feel free to fold through your favorite nuts, seeds, or shredded coconut for added texture.
While I personally love orange popsicles, here are some other fruits you can use for some variety!
- Strawberry– Replace the orange juice with 2 cups of fresh or frozen strawberries.
- Blueberry– Replace the orange juice with 2 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Pineapple– Instead of orange use, use 100% unsweetened pineapple juice.
- Watermelon– Sub out 3/4 of the orange juice with fresh watermelon juice. Be sure to remove any pips.
- Lemon– Replace a scant 1/4 cup of the orange juice with lemon juice, and add some optional lemon zest to it.
Storing and re-freezing homemade popsicles
- To store: Popsicles should always be stored in the freezer in their popsicle mold. They will keep well for up to 4 weeks.
- Refreezing: Move quickly when removing popsicles from their mold, as if left out at room temperature for too long, you risk them becoming too icy once placed back in the freezer.
More healthy dessert recipes to try
Healthy Popsicles (6 Flavors!)
- 1 can coconut milk full fat
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice No added sugar * See notes
- 2 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- In a high speed blender or food processor, add all the ingredients and blend/process very well, until smooth.
- Distribute the mixture evenly amongst the 6 popsicle molds and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Once set, remove from the molds and enjoy.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
you and your recipes are awesome i have tried so many of them, keep up the good work
Great, easy recipe. I needed something sweet without totally throwing healthy eating out the window. Thanks!