The perfect high protein trail mix for salty snack lovers. Made in just a few minutes, this homemade trail mix is bound to become something you won’t leave the house without.
Made with pepperoni sticks, beef jerky, almonds, and peanut butter pretzels, this trail mix is a collection of snacks that are packed with protein and healthy fats. This trail mix will keep you high-energy in between your meals and in any life situation.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easy to make. This is a snack that requires minimal preparation. It offers a mix of ingredients you would never think of.
- Customizable. You can customize trail mix components and make them for your food preferences.
- Helps control your weight. As this trail mix is packed with protein, it keeps you full longer and helps you avoid eating unnecessary foods.
- Affordable. Making trail mix yourself is always more affordable than getting it in stores. And if it’s so easy to make, why buy it?
Here’s what I like to have in my protein lover’s trail mix.
- Almonds. I like to use slightly salted almonds. You can use unsalted almonds if you are trying to keep your sodium intake at bay.
- Pepperoni sticks. Go for the organic sugar and nitrite-free ones.
- Beef jerky. Just like pepperoni sticks, beef jerky is a good source of protein. Get sugar-free and nitrite-free beef jerky.
- Peanut butter pretzels. Peanut butter is an excellent source of protein and healthy fats. Peanut butter pretzels are the most convenient way to add this nut butter to your trail mix.
- Crackers. Or another dry snack of your choice.
How to make a protein trail mix
Making this protein-packed trail mix will take just a few minutes of your time. All you need to do is to chop the pepperoni sticks and beef jerky into bite-size pieces.
Mix the pepperoni sticks and beef jerky with butter fillet pretzels, crackers, and lightly salted almonds.
Mix all ingredients and put your protein trail mix in a jar or a sealable bag.
- Use your favorite nuts. All nuts are a good source of healthy fats. If you don’t have almonds or simply don’t like them, use walnuts, pecans, pistachios, peanuts, or cashews.
- Add dried fruits. If you are the type of person that likes to have fruits as a snack, it would be a good idea to add some dried fruits to the trail mix. You can use dried cranberries, apricots, raisins, etc.
- Add seeds. Seeds are another great addition to trail mix. Pumpkin and sunflower seeds will fit perfectly into this protein-packed mix.
- Mix in some popcorn. Salty popcorn would make a good addition to this salty trail mix. Air-popped popcorn is a low-calorie and high-fiber snack that adds a lot of crunch to any trail mix.
Store trail mix at room temperature in an airtight container, jar, or zip-top bag. All ingredients in this trail mix will maintain their freshness for at least a week.
More salty snacks to try
Frequently asked questions
Protein trail mix is one of the healthiest snacks you can have. It is a good source of protein and healthy fats that provide you with energy and keep you full until it’s time for your next meal.
A trail mix is healthy so long as its components are healthy. For the healthiest trail mix, choose ingredients that are high in protein and healthy fats.
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Protein Trail Mix recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Protein Trail Mix
- 1 cup almonds
- 2 pepperoni sticks
- 1 package beef jerky
- 1 cup peanut butter pretzels
- 1 cup crackers optional
- Chop the pepperoni sticks and beef jerky into bite size pieces.
- Mix all the ingredients and put in a ziplock bag or jar to enjoy.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.