Healthy No Bake Caramel Pecan Bars which take less than 10 minutes to whip up! These super simple bars are vegan, gluten free, high protein and very low in sugar- Grab this sensible snack!
Healthy No Bake Caramel Pecan Granola Bars
Before we jump into today’s post, big thank you to everyone for the Birthday Wishes! The texts, tweets and comments meant the world to me- The flourless chocolate cake was eaten in your honour!
The Birthday Giveaway is still running for a few more days- Be sure to enter to win some amazing foodie goods!
When I stipulate something on this blog, the beauty of it is it’s written already- and you need to stick to your words. Well, at least that is my mindset. After having the most delicious supermarket bought gelato (not to be compared with my favourite gelato store), I pondered what it was which made it so tasty- and it was the combination of caramel and pecan on a mild vanilla like base.
I mentioned in this post how I would consider recreating the combination in some recipe, and friends- I found success- in granola bar form. I had a rough idea of what kind of base tends to work after making my No Bake Cashew Coconut Protein Bars, but wanted a smoother texture- Enter the Spectablend to make me some oat flour in seconds.
My first attempt used honey instead of brown rice syrup and while delicious, fell apart quite easily. The second batch I used brown rice syrup and it was firm and portable and didn’t need refrigeration. Also, it brought out the epic combination of pecans and caramel better than honey alone.
You can add a protein punch by incorporating a scoop of plain flavoured protein powder- I wouldn’t recommend even a mild vanilla as it will overpower the caramel and be too sweet. I’ve been lazy with my breakfasts at work, and two of these with a long machiatto have been pretty standard….although now I need to make another batch as they others may have also been snacked on later in the day. C’est la vie.
[Healthy] No Bake Caramel Pecan Granola Bars (Based off my no bake cashew coconut bars)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten freerolled oats
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour (rolled oats ground into a flour)
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup (If using honey or maple syrup, up to 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup natural nut butter of choice (I used Mayver's Original Spread)
- 1/2 T vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, separated
- 1 scoop of unflavoured vegan protein powder (Optional)
- 1/4 cup of caramel, for drizzling (I heated coconut sugar with water until caramelised)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, oat flour, 1/2 cup of the chopped pecans, sea salt and protein powder if using it.
- In a small saucepan (or in a microwave safe bowl), slowly heat the nut butter and brown rice syrup until fully combined and just beginning to bubble. Add the vanilla essence and whisk quickly before removing from the stove.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and ensure it is fully incorporated.
- Line a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with baking powder. Pour mixture and using your hands, press firmly to cover the entire pan equally. Cover with remaining pecans, pressing down into the batter. Slowly drizzle the top with the caramel and refrigerate immediately for at least 4 hours. Once set, remove from pan and cut into 10 even bars.
- These bare are firm enough to be kept outside the refrigerator, however ensure the caramel you are using is quite firm to begin with otherwise it will melt easily. If you don't use brown rice syrup as your sticky sweetener, ensure you increase the proportion by 1/4 cup.
Time for this week’s blogger lead Spill it, Sundays! This week, we have Alison who blogs over at Daily Moves and Grooves– If you haven’t stopped by Alison’s blog before, you will be amazed to find out how young yet incredibly witty she is- proof that blends can be of all ages!
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Snapchat - thebigmansworld