Blow your guests away with these delicious oven baked chicken wings. They’re crisp and seasoned on the outside yet still juicy and tender on the inside.
Whenever I want an appetizer that’s sure to impress, I always make wings. After all, who doesn’t love them? They’re easy to make, have a crispy texture, and taste great on their own or with a dipping sauce.
Table of Contents
- Why you’ll love these oven baked chicken wings recipe
- Ingredients needed
- How to bake chicken wings in the oven
- What to serve with crispy baked chicken wings
- Tips to make the best recipe
- Flavor variations
- Storage instructions
- Recommended tools
- More baked chicken recipes to try
- Frequently asked questions
- Oven Baked Chicken Wings
Why you’ll love these oven baked chicken wings recipe
- Simple ingredients. Aside from the chicken, the rest of the ingredients are all shelf-stable pantry staples.
- Healthier than fried wings. They’re baked with minimal oil and very little sugar, so you get maximum protein and flavor with no fillers or unnecessary ingredients and no deep frying needed.
- Guaranteed crispy. Like these keto chicken wings, a secret ingredient helps guarantee baked chicken wings with a crispy skin.
- Versatile. Swapping the seasoning is easy, so you can try these wings differently every time. Or use the sauce in boneless or grilled chicken wings.
What I love about this recipe is how deceptively simple it is. Everyone will love these wings, yet no one will realize they’re made with basic kitchen spices, a bit of sugar, and a drizzle of oil.
I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again, these baked chicken wings are made with super simple ingredients. In fact, you probably have most of them in your pantry right now!
- Chicken wings. Use a mix of wingettes and drumettes.
Frozen chicken wing hack
This recipe works using frozen chicken wings! Just be sure to thaw them first and patting them dry to ensure there is no moisture on them.
- Baking powder. This secret ingredient will make a crispy skin without having to bread the wings first. If you don’t have baking powder, use one teaspoon of baking soda and half a teaspoon of salt.
- Salt. It can be adjusted to taste.
- Spices. Garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, and chili powder.
- Brown sugar. A little bit is needed and will add tons of flavor and help make a caramelized and crispy coating.
- Olive oil. Or any neutral cooking oil will work, like vegetable oil.
- Parsley. For garnish.
How to bake chicken wings in the oven
As these chicken wings are baked in the oven, the hands-on time is pretty minimal.
Step 1- Make the wing seasoning
Combine the baking powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, chili powder, and brown sugar. Mix this with a fork to combine.
Step 2- Prepare the chicken wings
Transfer the wings to a large bowl and toss them with the spice rub until they’re fully coated.
Arrange the wings on the prepared baking sheet in an even layer and drizzle them with the oil.
Step 3- Bake the wings
Bake the chicken wings for 40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 74C/165F. Serve your cooked wings hot with some freshly chopped parsley.
What to serve with crispy baked chicken wings
- Sauces. Dipping or marinade-style sauces are great, like a katsu sauce, bulgogi sauce, garlic yogurt sauce, or big mac sauce.
- Sauteed vegetables. Broccolini or mushrooms would both be tasty.
- Potatoes. Healthier French fries or baked potatoes are both fab.
- Salads. Keep things exciting with an Asian cucumber salad or wedge salad.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Pat dry the chicken. Before adding the seasoning, this will help to ensure a crispy exterior.
- Bake the chicken on a wire rack. Using a wire rack will help guarantee they cook evenly on all sides. If you don’t have a wire rack, pull out the wings halfway through cooking and flip them.
- Thaw frozen wings before baking. If using frozen wings, thawing them overnight will help make sure they bake evenly.
- Bring chicken wings to room temperature. This will help the wings bake faster.
- Air fry the wings. Marinate them as written, then follow my air fryer chicken wings instructions.
There are plenty of small tweaks to be made, so you can enjoy these baked chicken wings differently every time. Here are some suggestions:
- Add more heat. If you like spicy wings, add chili powder or serve them with hot sauce.
- Add extra seasonings. Dried Italian herbs, mustard powder, minced garlic, or parmesan cheese can completely transform their flavor.
- Toss the wings in a sauce. After they’re done baking, toss them in barbeque sauce or hot honey sauce to impart more flavor.
To store: Transfer cooled chicken wings to an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To reheat: Transfer leftovers to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake them at 175C/350F for 5-6 minutes or until they reach your desired temperature. You can also pan-fry them.
To freeze: Place leftover wings in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
- Baking sheet. To bake the chicken wings on.
- Mixing bowls. To evenly coat them in the seasoning mix.
- Tongs. To flip the chicken as needed.
More baked chicken recipes to try
- Baked chicken breast
- Crispy baked chicken thighs
- Oven fried chicken thighs
- Baked chicken legs
- Peri Peri chicken
- Hot wings
Frequently asked questions
To guarantee your wings get crisp skin, do not cover them while baking. Otherwise, they will steam as they cook, and the skin will become soft and soggy.
Typically it will take about 40 minutes to bake chicken wings at 400F. That said, the exact cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the wings and if they are bone-in or boneless.
If you want to toss your chicken wings in a sauce, you’ll want to do so after baking them. That way, the skin becomes nice and crisp and can absorb the sauce.
You can use a baking sheet to bake the chicken, but using a wire rack on top of the baking sheet can help to create a crispier skin.
Either bone-in or boneless chicken wings can be used for baking. However, bone-in wings tend to be juicier and more flavorful.
Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a baking pan with a baking sheet.
- Combine the baking powder, salt, garlic, onion, paprika, pepper, chili, and sugar in a bowl. Toss the wings with the spice rub until they’re coated.
- Arrange the wings in a baking pan and drizzle with oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 165F.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.