These funfetti blondies are a simple and flourless dessert that take just 20 minutes to make! Moist, fluffy, and topped with a simple frosting.
When entertaining, I have a few dessert favorites up my sleeve. If I’m being super fancy, I like to make a Harry Potter cake or sometimes pecan pie brownies. However, if there’s a party or something fun involved, I love making funfetti blondies.
What is funfetti?
Also known as confetti, funfetti refers to a ‘flavor’ involving rainbow sprinkles. While it doesn’t have a specific flavor, it is most similar to vanilla or a vanilla cake batter. It’s perfect for muffins and cakes, but I love them as blondies!
Why you’ll love these funfetti blondies
- No flour needed. These blondies use ground up rolled oats, making it a fabulous flourless dessert.
- Easily made vegan and dairy free. With a few simple swaps, this dessert becomes vegan friendly (you can add it to the list of favorite vegan desserts).
- Healthier than most desserts. There is no white flour or white sugar, and we use applesauce to replace some of the butter. There is also no eggs or sugar needed.
- Moist, fluffy, and full of sprinkles. Everything you want from a funfetti blondie!
How do you make cake batter blondies?
- Rolled oats– These will be blended to produce a flour-like consistency. If you already have oat flour on hand, you can use that instead.
- Baking powder– Gives some rise and fluffiness to the blondies.
- Salt– Just a pinch to bring out the sweet flavors.
- Butter– Softened to room temperature. I used vegan butter to keep them vegan friendly, but you can also use coconut oil.
- Coconut sugar– A refined sugar free sweetener. You can also use brown sugar or a brown sugar substitute.
- Applesauce– Adds extra moisture with no apple flavor.
- Vanilla extract– A must for any good blondie or dessert bar.
- Sprinkles– Rainbow jimmies are the best sprinkles to use, as they don’t bleed into the batter.
- Vanilla frosting– Use your favorite store bought vanilla frosting. Betty Crocker frostings are mostly vegan and have no dairy or eggs in them.
Start by blending the oats into a flour-like consistency. Add it to a mixing bowl, along with the baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter, coconut sugar, applesauce and vanilla extract, until smooth. Gently fold through the dry ingredients into the wet until combined. Add the sprinkles.
Now, transfer the batter into a greased pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer comes out mostly clean. Let the blondies cool completely, before spreading the frosting on top.
Tips and tricks for success
- Do not over-bake the blondies as they continue to cook as they are cooling in the pan.
- When blending your oats down, make sure they are of a powder-like consistency.
- Fold through your favorite nuts, seeds, or chocolate chips, for some added texture and flavors.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To store: Store leftovers in the refrigerator, covered, for up to one week.
- To freeze: Place blondies in an airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More blondie recipes to try
- Keto blondies
- Vegan blondies
- Apple blondies
- Peanut butter blondies
- White chocolate raspberry blondies
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, if you’d like to use pre-made or store-bought oat flour, you can skip the blending of the oats instructions.
Use a sugar substitute (instead of the coconut sugar) and a keto frosting (naturally sugar free) and this dessert with be sugar free.
Provided you use certified gluten free oats or oat flour, this dessert will be suitable for celiacs.
Funfetti Blondies (No flour!)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch dish and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar, then add in the applesauce and vanilla extract. Gently fold through the dry ingredients into the wet, then add the rainbow sprinkles.
- Transfer to the baking dish and bake the blondies for 20-25 minutes, or until mostly set in the middle or a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool completely, before frosting and slicing.