These cheesecake cookies have the best of both worlds. They feature the most delicious crispy and chewy chocolate cookies with a rich cream cheese filling.
This mouthwatering combination of cheesecake and cookies is the ultimate best sweet treat for anyone who loves cookies or cheesecake. Just like our cream cheese cookies, the addition of this magical spread completely transforms it.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easier than cheesecake. Making chocolate cookie dough and cream cheese frosting is so much easier than baking a whole cheesecake.
- Perfect texture. The crumbly chocolate cookies and the smooth cream cheese filling create the most perfect contrast of textures.
- Only 8 ingredients. These cookies sound like a complex dessert. In reality, you only need eight simple ingredients to make them.
Cream cheese, chocolate chips, and a couple of baking staples are all you need to make these cheesecake cookies. Here’s the full list of ingredients.
- Flour. I use all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Butter. Unsalted and softened butter.
- Sugar. I use both white and brown sugar for this recipe. Using only white or only brown sugar will work too.
- Baking soda. To help the cookie dough rise.
- Cream cheese. Use softened cream cheese for easy mixing.
- Chocolate chips. Use milk or dark chocolate chips.
- Vanilla extract. To flavor the cookies.
- Salt. To balance all flavors.
For the filling:
- Cream cheese. Use softened cream cheese for a perfectly smooth filling.
- Powdered sugar. I use powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar as it melts easily and produces smoother results.
These cookies only sound intimidating. In reality, they are quite easy to make. Follow these steps to make the best cookies you’ll want over and over again!
Step 1 – Prepare the cream cheese frosting
Whisk together the cream cheese and the powdered sugar until fully combined. Use a teaspoon to freeze small portions of the cream cheese frosting. Place the frosting on a plate lined with food wrap and freeze for an hour. You should get 12 cream cheese balls when using a teaspoon.
Step 2 – Make the cookie dough
Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the softened butter, sugars, cream cheese, and vanilla extract. Cream until smooth and glossy. Add the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Cover the bowl with food wrap and refrigerate the dough for at least an hour.
Step 3 – Bake the cheesecake cookies
Preheat the oven to 185C/375F degrees. Remove the cookie dough from the fridge and roll out 12 even-sized balls. Make an indent in the center of each ball.
Remove the frozen cream cheese balls from the freezer and place one in each cookie. Shape the cookie dough around the cream cheese filling to cover it up.
Place the cookies in the pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until firm around the edges.
Let the cookies cool completely before you eat them.
Tips to make the best recipe
- If you don’t have powdered sugar, use a food processor to blend granulated sugar into fine powder. This extra step is worth taking if you want to achieve a smooth consistency for the cream cheese filling.
- Don’t forget to chill the dough before shaping the cookies. Refrigerating the dough solidifies the fats in it and prevents the cookies from spreading too much in the oven.
- While the recipe specifies the baking time, always keep an eye on the cookies to prevent them from darkening or burning.
- Drizzle the cookies with melted chocolate or cream cheese frosting to make them look more festive.
The beauty of these cookies is that you can jazz them up with a few little tweaks. Here are some suggestions:
- Make strawberry cheesecake cookies. Use chopped fresh strawberries instead of chocolate chips for a pop of color and fruity flavor.
- Use white chocolate chips. White chocolate chips are certainly not a classic but they taste just as good as cookies made with dark chocolate.
- Experiment with the cream cheese frosting. You can add different flavors to the cream cheese frosting, including peanut butter, cocoa powder, pureed fruits, etc.
- No bake cheesecake cookies. Stuff the filling into your favorite no bake cookie for a fun twist.
To store: Place leftover cookies in an airtight container. They will stay fresh for up to 4 days in the fridge.
To freeze: You can make an extra batch of cookie dough and freeze it for up to 3 months.
Frequently asked questions
These cookies are not gluten-free as they are made with all-purpose flour. To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free cup-for-cup flour. Also, make sure the cream cheese you are using is labeled gluten-free.
Yes, these cookies work with dairy free cream cheese. Simply choose cream cheese that comes from a block, not a spread.
- 3/4 cup cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar sifted
- Prepare the cheesecake filling by whisking together the cream cheese and powdered sugar until combined.
- Place 12 teaspoons of the mixture onto a small lined plate and freeze for an hour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt, and set aside. In a separate bowl, add the softened butter, sugars, cream cheese, and vanilla extract, and cream together until smooth and glossy. Gently add in the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips at the end.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the cookie dough for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 185C/375F.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and roll out 12 balls of cookie dough. Make an indent into the center of each one. Remove the frozen cream portions from the freezer and place one in each cookie and shape the cookie dough around it to cover it up.
- Place the cheesecake-filled balls of cookie dough onto a lined pan and gently press down on each one. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until firm around the edges.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking tray completely before enjoying them.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.