A homemade protein pancake mix which is sugar free, vegan and gluten free- All that is required is adding a liquid of choice and in under 5 minutes, you’ll have a healthy, delicious stack of pancakes!
First things first. Catching up on here from last week? Make sure you check out these Harry Potter inspired energy bites and Sunday’s sessions filling you in on recent happenings on this little old blog.
Friends, I lied.
Remember when I said that I suffer FOMO from Thanksgiving? It goes further to food products. Every so often, a healthy food product trends like crazy amongst the healthy living blogger community. Here’s how it pans out.
Check my blog reader.
See several blogs highlight some new food product.
Check to see it’s stockists.
NONE IN AUSTRALIA.
This occurs on a weekly basis.
I’ve come to terms that here in Australia, there isn’t just a delay when it comes to time- There is a delay when it comes to food products too. Instead of moping over it and trying to find ways to obtain a green card, I rectify it by making my own.
Well, I rectified it this one time by making my own.
Over the last couple of months, I’ve been seeing many of my favourite blogs discuss boxed protein pancake mixes. I am a huge fan of protein pancakes, yet always make mine from scratch. Currently on rotation are my Pumpkin Gingerbread Protein pancakes and these Black Forest Pancakes. Not the Red Velvet Pancakes though. As delicious as they are, I am NOT in the mood to stain another part of my house purple. The former two are delicious and take barely any time to whip up but sometimes, you feel like a basic pancake mix you don’t need to measure ingredients out for and within minutes, have a stack of pancakes.
My recent travels to the Northern hemisphere and also to Malaysia made me think- Wouldn’t it be convenient to have a mixture where you wouldn’t need to measure any flour or dry matter and simply add either liquid or eggs? Well, I have you covered. All you need is a 3/4 cup measuring cup and voila- You can have pancake mix all sorted.
The beauty of this homemade protein pancake mix is that is simply a base! You can mix or match it up any way you like!
Here are some basic ideas for you!
1 part base + 1/4 cup blueberries + cinnamon- A blueberry base!
1 part base + 2 T cocoa powder – a chocolate base!
1 part base + 1 small chopped apple + cinnamon- an apple and cinnamon base!
1 part base + 1 Arman = hello sunshine.
You get the picture. This homemade protein pancake mix also makes the perfect gift for the fit minded foodie or someone that just wants pancakes real fast. Like the beauties below…
Homemade Protein Pancake Mix
For the mixture
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour. Add the protein powder, sweetener of choice, baking powder and sea salt. Mix very well.
- Pour into an air tight container or jar. Makes four 3/4 cup servings.
To make the pancakes (1 serving)
- Pour 3/4 cup of the dry mix into a large mixing bowl.
- If desired, add extra dry ingredients to the mix (e.g. nuts, chocolate chips, cocoa powder)
- Slowly stir in 1/4 cup liquid of choice (I used milk). Depending on the flour you used and protein powder, you may need more. Using a tablespoon, continue to add liquid until a thick batter is formed. If wanting to add extra 'wet' ingredients to the mix (e.g. fresh fruit).
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and coat evenly with oil or cooking spray. When hot, pour large spoonfuls of the batter and cover. When the edges start to brown, flip and repeat.
- Serve pancakes immediately with desired toppings.
If using a sweetened protein powder, reduce the sweetener of choice to 2 tablespoons.
Have you ever tried one of the protein pancake mixes?
What is your favourite protein powder (if you use it)?
What is your favourite pancake add in?