These protein waffles are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, you won’t believe they need just 3 ingredients! NO flour and no sugar are needed, they are perfect with both sweet or savory fillings and mix ins.
Breakfast is easily my favorite meal of the day and I genuinely look forward to it. I always make time for it and I can’t remember the last time I actually skipped it! I try and keep my breakfasts interesting as I do love variety, and most days, I start with something different.
Since starting a weight lifting program, I’ve also made an effort to pack more protein into my meals. My trainer suggested I add a protein shake with each meal but I am NOT a huge fan of protein shakes. Instead, I’ve opted to use higher protein ingredients. One of my favorites to use is cottage cheese and I LOVE using them in waffles.
I’ve been meaning to share a protein waffle recipe for quite some time. Unlike other high protein recipes, it doesn’t contain any protein powder at all. Instead, it uses blended cottage cheese, which provides over 20 grams of protein per serving.
No flour and no sugar are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture of the waffles is crispy on the edges, and soft and fluffy in the middle. The waffles are mild tasting and versatile for both sweet or savory toppings!
I had some friends over for brunch and served them these waffles as part of a waffle platter and NO ONE believed me when I told them they were healthy and packed with protein- They thought these were classic waffles.
How do you make protein waffles?
- Rolled oats– Old fashioned oats. If you’d like these waffles to be gluten free, be sure to use certified gluten free oats.
- Cottage cheese– Give the waffles a deliciously moist and fluffy center, with no flavor whatsoever. Non-fat or reduced fat cottage cheese can be used.
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs.
- Sweetener– Optional, but add if you want sweet waffles.
Start by adding all your ingredients into a high speed blender or food processor. Blend very well, until no clumps remain and the batter is smooth.
Next, preheat a waffle iron, and once hot, add spoonfuls of the batter onto it until covered. Cook the waffle until golden and crispy around the edges. Repeat the process until all the batter has been used up. Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.
Tips to make the best vegan protein powder waffles
- For an added protein boost, you can add a scoop of your favorite protein powder.
- Waffle iron makes and models differ. Follow the cooking instructions as per the packaging.
- If you don’t own a waffle iron, these work very well as protein pancakes. Simply cook the batter in a preheated non-stick pan coated with cooking spray. Once hot, pour 1/4 cup portions of the batter into it and cook until crispy around the edges.
Protein Waffle Flavor variations
These protein waffles are so versatile, you can change up the flavors easily for some variety!
- Blueberry– Add 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries to the batter AFTER blending.
- Chocolate chip– Fold through 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips once the batter has been formed.
- Double chocolate– Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips to the blender before blending.
- Banana– Add 1 large banana to the batter.
- Peanut butter– Swirl through 2 tablespoons of peanut butter once blended.
Storing and freezing protein waffles
- To store: Waffles can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place leftovers in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the waffles for 30 seconds or place them in a pre-heated non-stick pan and cook until warm.
More healthy breakfast recipes to try
- Breakfast cake
- Healthy oatmeal pancakes
- Flourless banana pancakes
- Oatmeal breakfast bars
- Oatmeal brownies
- Add all your ingredients into a high speed blender. Blend very well, until smooth and no clumps remain.
- Heat a waffle iron as per the box directions. Once hot, pour spoonfuls of the batter to cover the iron. Cook the waffle until crispy on the edges. Remove from the waffle iron and cook the remaining batter.
- Serve the waffles immediately with your favorite sweet or savory toppings.