These chocolate coconut rum balls are a simple and delicious no bake keto dessert perfect for the holiday season! Ready in 5 minutes, they are a low carb twist on the classic Christmas favorite. 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Chocolate Rum Balls
When it comes to keto Christmas sweets, my favorite recipes to make are candied pecans, eggnog, and these easy keto rum balls.
One of my favorite things to do during the holiday season is to make edible gifts for all my friends and family. It’s not that I don’t like buying physical gifts, but there’s something special about making something from scratch. Even though I’m always feeding them my baked goods and other treats, I reserve a handful of festive recipes for this occasion. While in the past I typically make candied nuts or some English toffee, this year, I thought I’d make some classic rum balls.
I’ve been meaning to share a keto rum ball recipe for quite some time. It’s one of the quintessential holiday treats, one which every family has their own twist on it. In our household, my mom would make them in a slightly different way. She never used condensed milk, but rather a combination of melted butter with crushed nuts. As such, it was easy for me to adapt them to make them low in carbs and sugar!
These rum balls are one of the most foolproof recipes you’ll make this holiday season. All you need is a simple blender or food processor and you are sorted. They are soft, doughy, and with plenty of coconut throughout! They are sweet and have a slight chocolate flavor, without being overpowering.
Perfect for gifting or having as part of a holiday dessert board, these chocolate rum balls are your quick and easy treat to make!
How do you make keto rum balls?
- Shortbread cookies– Traditional rum balls use any plain cookie or biscuit in them. To keep them keto, I simply blended up my homemade shortbread. You could also try peanut butter cookies or almond butter cookies.
- Walnuts and almonds– Any nuts can be used. Be sure to chop them VERY finely or even blend them to a very fine texture.
- Butter– Salted and melted. You can also use dairy free butter.
- Cocoa powder– Unsweetened cocoa powder or for a richer flavor, you can use dark cocoa powder.
- Powdered sugar– Keep it keto by using sugar free powdered sugar.
- Shredded coconut– Both in the rum balls and to roll them in!
- Rum extract– Optional, but gives these their name! If you would like to add actual rum to it, you can do so.
- Water– Only need if the dough isn’t sticky.
In a food processor or high speed blender, blend together your cookies and nuts until a fine texture remains. Transfer the crumbs into a large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the water, and mix well. If the dough is too thick and crumbly, slowly add some water, until it becomes thick and smooth.
Now, using your hands, roll the dough into small balls. Dip the balls in extra shredded coconut and place them on a lined plate or baking dish. Refrigerate the rum balls for at least 30 minutes, to firm up.
Tips to make the best rum balls recipe
- Do not over blend your cookies and nuts. You want it to be smooth but still course. If it is too fine, you’ll find that you need to add extra cookie crumbs in it to hold shape.
- Try to use finely shredded coconut flakes, so they stick easier to the rum balls.
- If you don’t follow a strict keto diet, you can swap out half the nuts with raisins or sultanas.
Storing, freezing, and gifting rum balls
- To store: Rum balls can be stored at room temperature, covered, for up to 2 weeks. The balls will be soft in texture. However, if you’d them firmer and thick, keep them stored in the refrigerator. They will keep well for up to 2 months.
- To freeze: Place rum balls in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Gifting: Use a glass jar or a paper box lined with parchment paper. Place the rum balls in them and keep them stored in the refrigerator until they are ready to be given as edible gifts.
More delicious keto Christmas desserts to try
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Keto Rum Balls recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Keto Rum Balls
- 10 shortbread cookies
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar free powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut divided
- 1 teaspoon rum extract Optional * See notes
- 1/4 cup water ** See notes
- In a high speed blender or food processor, combine your shortbread cookies and walnuts, and blend until thick crumbs remain.
- Transfer the mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup shredded coconut, along with the rest of the ingredients, and mix until combined. If the dough is too thick, add some water, one tablespoon at a time, until smooth.
- Using your hands, form 12 small balls of dough. Roll each ball in the remaining coconut and place the coconut covered balls on a lined plate or tray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, to firm up.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Arman… Is it possible to use almond flour, a combo of almond/coconut flour, or a combo of almond/GF flour instead of shortbread cookies in this recipe? I do not want to make shortbread cookies just for this recipe… as I’ll be the only one here to eat the left over ones… lol! And I’d much rather eat the rum balls! Thanks for your input. 🙂