These lemon coconut bars involve a thick base, layered with lemon curd, and topped with a crumb topping. Made with no grains no refined sugar, these lemon coconut squares make a fabulous dessert or post dinner treat!
Lemon Coconut Bars
With the warmer months just around the corner, nothing screams it more than the lemon and coconut combination! I’ve been really digging the lemon flavored desserts lately, especially with the new lemon tree in my garden. While I am a fan of simple lemon treats, there is something magical about it with the addition of some coconut.
These lemon and coconut bars have been my go-to dessert lately. A thick and soft almost cookie-like base, topped with lemon curd, a grain-free crumble, and drizzled with coconut butter…bliss.
I’ve been loving the fact that these bars are grain free and made without eggs, so I can sneak mouthfuls of the batter while prepping it. These bars are healthy enough to have for breakfast, although I can’t say I have done that….yet.
With my keto diet in full swing, I’m loving how low carb these are too!
Ingredients to make this recipe
For the bars
- Almond Flour– Blanched almond flour is preferred, over almond meal. The latter yields a more dense texture.
- Shredded coconut– Be sure to use unsweetened coconut flakes. Use finely shredded coconut so the bars will hold shape better.
- Baking Soda- Leavening agent for the bars. It gives them a little rise and fluffiness.
- Coconut Oil– You want your coconut oil to be softened, the same texture as butter.
- Maple syrup- Either traditional maple syrup or sugar free maple syrup.
- Pumpkin Puree- Gives the bars a softer texture. You can also use mashed banana.
- Lemon Curd– Homemade or store-bought.
For the crumble topping
- Almond flour and coconut flour– The combination of these two flours ensures a thick and crunchy crumb topping.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Any granulated sweetener can be used- coconut sugar, brown sugar, or even sugar free substitutes.
- Vanilla extract– A must give it a slight vanilla flavor.
- Coconut oil– Gives the crumb topping a buttery texture, minus the actual butter!
- Maple syrup– Gives the crumb topping some sweetness. Use sugar free maple syrup, if needed.
How do you make lemon coconut squares?
- Step 1- Prepare the lemon coconut bar base– Mix your dry ingredients and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine your other ingredients and mix. Combine the dry and wet ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. If the batter is too thick, add the extra 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree.
- Step 2- Prepare the crumb topping. Make the crumb topping by mixing the ingredients together, until a crumbly texture remains. If your crumble mixture is too thin, add the extra almond flour. If it is too thick, add a little extra milk to thin out.
- Step 3- Make the lemon curd– Either make your own lemon curd or lemon jam or use a store-bought one.
- Step 4- Assemble the bars. Transfer the lemon and coconut base to a square pan and press it into place then spread the lemon curd/jam over the top, until it is fully covered. Pour over the crumble mixture over the top. Avoid putting to much lemon curd/jam, or else the bars will be soggy.
- Step 5- BAKE– Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and bake the bars for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean from the center and the crumble mixture has turned golden brown. The bars will continue to firm up while they cool down.
- Step 6- Cool and glaze– Once your bars have cooled, drizzle with coconut butter. Ensure your coconut butter is at room temperature/able to be drizzled. You can warm the coconut butter up slightly, to make it smoother and easier to drizzle.
How to store the bars
- To store: If you keep the bars at room temperature, be sure that they are in a sealed container or covered completely. They will keep fresh this way for 3 days. For the lemon bars to keep the best texture, refrigerate the bars. They will keep fresh for up to 7 days.
- To freeze: Place bars in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More desserts to try
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Lemon Coconut Bars recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Lemon Coconut Bars
For the Crumble Topping
For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine 1/4 cup of your pumpkin, coconut oil, and syrup and mix until combined.
- Combine your dry and wet ingredients and mix until combined. If the batter is too thick, add the extra 1/4 cup of pumpkin.
- Pour the lemon coconut bar batter into the lined pan. Top with the lemon curd/jam, then sprinkle the entire pan with the crumble mixture, ensuring the lemon curd is completely covered in them.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean from the center and the crumb topping has become golden brown.
- Allow lemon coconut crumble bars to cool in the pan completely, before slicing into 8 bars. Once cool, drizzle with coconut butter.
To make the crumb topping
- In a small mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, add your vanilla extract, coconut oil, and keto maple syrup and whisk together.
- Combine your wet and dry ingredients and mix very well, until small crumbles remain.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.