Protein packed brownies which are perfectly acceptable for breakfast and need just four ingredients! Moist, soft and gooey on the inside yet tender on the outside, these flourless breakfast brownies are vegan, gluten free, paleo and refined sugar free!
I kind of didn’t know what recipe to start 2016 with, but I knew it had to be breakfast related AND taste like dessert.
Based on the amazing feedback you guys share with me, it seems like breakfasts, snacks and single serve recipes are what you guys prefer. That suits me perfectly fine- Eating dessert for breakfast is totally acceptable in my books, and I cannot remember the last time I had a savory breakfast.
Just kidding. I had eggs the other day and it was served with toast, butter and salsa.
Can we take a hot minute to talk about eggs and salsa?
I have never come across this combination before until I came to America. Once again, I cry silently to myself that I’d been missing out on this combination for so long! The soft poached eggs with salsa mixed in over my toast were pretty amazing. Even more was the addition of avocado do. I pretty much danced the tango, minus the dancing part.
That was random.
Brownies for breakfast is nothing new in this neck of the woods. Long term readers may remember LAST year when they were a staple proportion of my morning meal. It happened when I shared these Greek Yogurt Chocolate Brownies and I made a triple batch to share with my friends. Fortunate for me, they were about to travel so wouldn’t be home to enjoy them. That meant I had to have it so incorporating them with breakfast was ideal.
C’est la vie.
For me to feel satisfied and full after my first meal, I typically need a balance of carbohydrates, healthy fats and a solid dose of protein. These breakfast brownies tick the box and as such, are your new toast/cereal/chocolate.
These healthy four ingredient breakfast brownies are soft and fudgy on the inside, yet lightly tender and firm on the outside! For such a moist, gooey and creamy centre, they are incredibly healthy and flavorful! Unlike traditional brownies, these contain no flour, butter, sugar or oil yet don’t sacrifice flavor or texture! The base is customizable, based on what mashed starch you have on hand. For the best texture, you’ll need to use a non-whey protein powder (Readers who’ve made these brownies have had success with it, but none of my whey based powders have worked)-A paleo protein powder, a vegan protein powder and my favorite casein protein powder. Depending on which protein powder you use, these brownies are paleo, vegan, dairy free, gluten free and completely refined sugar free!
HACK! While some protein powders DO leave you with that delicious crackly topping we all adore, there are several which don’t. In that case, I’d recommend this granulated monk fruit-based sweetener, which is similar to Stevia but without the bitter aftertaste. Also, for the BEST texture, you know the deal- Allow to cool, refrigerate and enjoy from the fridge.
Make these healthy four ingredient flourless breakfast brownies and say goodbye to toast/cereal/eggs for breakfast.
Or just make these as a snack. Or dinner. Or lunch.
- 3 medium, overripe bananas OR 1 cup mashed sweet potato OR 1 cup mashed pumpkin OR mix of all 3
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter or almond butter (can sub for any nut/seed or soy nut butter)
- 2 T - 1/4 cup cocoa powder (more = richer taste)
- 1-2 scoops of protein powder (see above content for tested recommendations)*
- Handful of chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat the oven the 350 degrees, grease a small cake pan or loaf pan and set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl or stovetop, melt your nut butter.
- In a blender, food processor, or using your hands, combine the mashed starch, cocoa powder, protein powder and nut butter until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan, top with optional chocolate chops and bake for around 20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing into pieces.
- You don't need to blend or process all ingredients, but they lend a smoother texture- Although I do like my banana chunks in them
- These brownies are not super sweet, as the protein powders used all had sweetener in them. Adjust accordingly if you'd like a very sweet brownie.
- Brownies are best kept and enjoyed refrigerated- They are also freezer friendly
Healthy Chocolate Cake Oatmeal (Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
Sticky Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal (Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
No Bake Superfoods Breakfast Cookies (Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
What is your staple breakfast?
Salsa and eggs…..Please tell me you’re new on this genius marriage too.
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Snapchat - thebigmansworld