This Banoffee pie is an easy no bake dessert made with a gooey caramel, sliced bananas and topped with whipped coconut cream, all in a no bake pie crust. Made without dairy or refined sugar, it’s completely vegan, gluten free and raw!
I’ve been to England many times, and cannot believe it has taken me so long to try the famous Banoffee pie. Ironically, I tried it for the first time in Bali, when I went over there with my partner and some friends. It’s the perfect dessert for those who love a mix of flavors and textures- sweet, soft, smooth, and crunchy in one. My version is made without dairy, gluten, or refined sugar, and is MUCH easier to make at home!
What is banoffee pie?
This dish is a raw or no bake dessert pie, involving three layers- dulce de leche OR caramel, sliced bananas, and whipped cream. All of this is layered in a pie crust, either pre baked or a no bake crust. Originating from the United Kingdom, the name ‘Banoffee’ combines banana and coffee. As such, they can sometimes include coffee added in.
How do you make banoffee pie
- Pie crust– Any 9-inch pie crust of choice. I used a vegan graham cracker crust.
- Caramel– Dulce de leche or caramel, this is spread all over the base of the banoffee pie. You can use any homemade caramel of choice.
- Bananas– Do not use overripe bananas, as they will brown easily. Use just ripe ones, that can be sliced easily.
- Whipped coconut cream– To cover the top of the pie with! Homemade coconut whipped cream or store bought can be used.
Start by preparing your crust and placing it into a 9-inch pie pan. Next, spread the caramel sauce all over the bottom of the pie crust, ensuring it is completely covered. Then, you’ll add your sliced bananas over the top. Finally, cover the entire pie with coconut whipped cream, before adding optional chocolate shavings on top. Refrigerate the banoffee pie overnight, to firm up.
Tips and Tricks
- Work in layers when putting the pie together. If you pre-prepare all the layers, it is so easy to assemble.
- I used my homemade caramel, using the condensed milk trick. It is 100% dairy free though, as it uses coconut condensed milk. If you use a store bought caramel, be sure it is thick, not watery.
- Do not use ripe bananas, otherwise, they will brown within 24 hours. Use bananas that are ‘just’ ripe.
- The ingredients used might be a little different from traditional banoffee pie, as this has been made vegan. If you don’t follow a vegan diet, any caramel or whipped cream topping can be used.
- Use a 9-inch springform pan, for easy removal. Otherwise, you can simply slice and serve directly from the pie pan.
Storing and Freezing Tips
- To store: Leftover banoffee pie must be stored in the refrigerator, covered. It will keep for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: You can freeze leftover slices of the pie, in a freezer friendly container. It will freeze well for up to 2 months.
More No Bake Dessert Recipes
Banoffee Pie (Vegan + GF)
- Prepare your pie crust or use a store bought pie crust.
- Cover the pie crust with the caramel, ensuring it covers the entire surface of the pie.
- Place slices of the banana over the top of the caramel.
- Cover the entire pie with the coconut whipped cream.
- Refrigerate the banoffee pie in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight, to firm up.