These vegan rice crispy treats are a simple no bake dessert made with 3 ingredients. No dairy and no refined sugar, they take 5 minutes to make.
The Best Vegan Rice Crispy Treats
If you love rice crispy treats, you are in for a treat. This vegan version is one you’ll add to your dessert rotation every week.
Traditional crispy treats use marshmallows and butter, but not these! Don’t fret though- they taste every bit as delicious as you’d expect.
And you’ll love that they are naturally vegan and gluten free. There are no animal products or dairy used.
By the way, the texture is incredible: Crispy, soft, dense, and perfectly delicious.
They need just 3 ingredients to make and literally take 5 minutes to prep. Compared to other desserts, they are healthy too, with no refined sugar.
You’ll notice and short and simple list of ingredients to make these bars. They are easy to find and if you’ve made any of my vegan desserts before, you probably have everything in your pantry. Here is what you’ll need:
- Crispy rice cereal. Any crispy rice based cereal works, including rice crispies and brown rice crispies.
- Peanut butter. Smooth and creamy with no added sugar.
- Maple syrup. Adds sweetness and help bind the mixture.
How to make vegan rice crispy treats
This recipe is truly one of the easiest that you’ll ever make and follow a simple 3-step process. The hard part is waiting for them to firm up but honestly, it will be worth it.
Ready to whip some up?
Step 1- Melt the peanut butter and maple syrup
Start by adding the peanut butter and maple syrup in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30-40 seconds, until warm. Whisk them together until smooth.
Step 2- Combine ingredients
Next, add the rice cereal and mix well, until fully combined. Transfer the mixture into a lined square pan and press down on top until uniform and smooth.
Step 3- Chill and set
Now, refrigerate the treats for at least an hour to firm up. Once firm, use a sharp knife and slice into bars.
Tips to make the best recipe
- If you notice the mixture to be a little too sticky/wet, you can add more crispy rice cereal. Sometimes, the peanut butter and syrup mix can be a little too creamy.
- Line your pan before adding the mixture in so you’ll enjoy an easy removal.
- If you don’t own a microwave, you can heat the peanut butter and syrup together in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Dietary swaps and substitutions
The beauty of these crispy treats is just how easy they are to customize to other diets out there. Here are some suggestions:
- Make them gluten free. Use gluten free rice crispy cereal.
- Swap out the peanut butter. Use another nut or seed butter, including almond butter, cashew butter, tahini, or sunflower seed butter.
- Cut the carbs. Try making keto rice crispy treats instead.
- Cut the sugar. Replace the maple syrup with sugar free maple syrup.
- Use another sweetener. Not a fan of maple syrup? Try using agave nectar or brown rice syrup instead.
Wondering what’s the best way to store rice crispy treats? Here are best practices for storage:
- Up to one week: Rice Crispy Treats can keep at room temperature, covered.
- One week or more: They are best kept refrigerated, as they will maintain a firm texture, and last for up to 4 weeks.
- Up to 6 months: Place the treats in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More vegan dessert recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
No, the Kellogg’s version of crispy treats contains butter, marshmallows, and gelatin, which are not suitable for a vegan diet.
This recipe uses a combination of peanut butter and maple syrup, which both add sweetness and help hold the treats together.
Yes, there is no dairy in rice crispies cereal.
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Vegan Rice Crispy Treats recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Vegan Rice Crispy Treats | 3 Ingredients and NO marshmallows
- Line an 8 x 8-inch baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Add your peanut butter and maple syrup to a microwave safe bowl and melt your nut butter with your syrup.
- Add the rice cereal to the peanut butter and syrup mixture and mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into the lined baking tray and press firmly into place. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- Slice into bars and enjoy.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.