Learn how to make fruit leather with this homemade recipe using just 2 ingredients! This healthy snack is easy to customize with tons of flavor options!
Need a fun and delicious way to add fruit to your diet? You must give fruit leather a try. If you love fruit by the meter or roll-ups, this is a healthier alternative that is so easy to make.
What is fruit leather?
Fruit leather is an age-old recipe made by drying sheets of fruit pulp and makes a healthier sweet snack. It has a soft and rubbery texture. It can be made with many fruits, such as mango, banana, apricot, and tamarind. You can also make fruit leather by mixing two or more fruits.
Why this fruit leather recipe will be a snacking staple:
- Real whole fruit. You only get 100% fruit in them with no artificial flavors, sugar, colorings, and preservatives (which cannot be said for store bought ones!).
- Healthy. Low in fat and naturally sweetened, it’s a low calorie way to satisfy the sweet tooth.
- Easy to customize. You can switch up the fruit used to whatever is in season.
- Quick and easy. There are just 3 ingredients and the process to prepare it is minimal.
Ingredients you’ll need
This homemade fruit leather is very basic: all you need is some fruit, citric base and a liquid sweetener. Here is what you’ll need:
- Fruit. 3 cups of frozen or fresh mango chunks and 3 cups chopped strawberries. You can also have 3 cups of any other fruit you like.
- Lime juice. Prevents darkening of fruit leather.
- Honey. Gives fruit leather a sweet flavor without adding sugar.
How to make fruit leather
There is no need to use a dehydrator or any fancy gadgets to whip this up. The main thing to remember is to adjust the baking time if the fruit leather isn’t dried out enough. Here is the basic way to make this:
- Prepare: Preheat the oven to 80 degrees Celsius or 175 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Puree: Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until a smooth mixture forms.
- Bake: Take two lined baking sheets and spread the mixture over them. Use a rubber spatula to make the surface completely flat. Put the fruit leather in the preheated oven for 2 ½ – 3 hours or until it becomes dry enough to touch.
- Slice and roll: Cut long strips using a pizza cutter and then roll up them.
Tips for success
Although it’s an easy recipe to make, here are a few tips that will help you make the best fruit leather at home:
- Coat the tray with some oil or vegetable spray before adding the fruit puree to the tray for baking. It will prevent your fruit leather from sticking to the tray.
- After adding the puree to the tray, shake the tray until the puree gets an even texture. It will even out the texture (so there are no thick bumps).
- Don’t over-dry your fruit leather because it can become brittle.
What fruits can be made into leather?
You can add almost any fruit to your fruit leather to customize it according to your taste. Some of the popular options are:
How long does homemade fruit leather last?
Fruit leather lasts for a month if stored at room temperature. If you keep your fruit leather in the refrigerator, you can enjoy it for up to 6 months. If you want to make fruit leather for an even longer duration than this, you can freeze it in the freezer for up to a year.
More healthy snacks to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Fruit leathers are good if they don’t contain any artificial flavors, preservatives, and added sugars. Most store-bought fruit leathers have all these and should only be enjoyed in moderation.
Fruit leather is also called fruit roll or fruit roll-ups.
Any citrus based fruit or fruit with a low water content are best to make into fruit leather.
Fruit Leather (2 Ingredients!)
- 3 cups frozen fruit I used strawberries and mango
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey optional
- Preheat the oven to 175F/80C.
- Blend your fruit of choice in a food processor until smooth.
- Spread the mixtures onto individual lined baking sheets and spread it out using a rubber spatula until completely flat.
- Bake the fruit roll ups for 2 ½- 3 hours, or until it is dry enough to touch.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut long strips then roll up.