Thick, creamy, and made with just 4 ingredients, this chunky monkey smoothie is seriously addictive. Enjoy it in minutes and customize it endlessly!
We love starting our morning with smoothies in my house. They’re so nutritious, easy to make, and provide all the energy we need to stay full and focused.
Table of Contents
- Versatile. I like my smoothies in the morning, but you can have them as a midday snack or even a post-workout treat.
- Super healthy. Bananas provide vitamins and fiber, peanut butter adds healthy fat, and cocoa powder adds antioxidants. Plus, it’s naturally gluten-free and easy to make vegan.
- Ready in minutes. Just add everything to your blender–and blend!
- Easy to customize. Enjoy this smoothie as is, or customize every ingredient to satisfy your taste buds.
You’ll love just how simple the ingredient list is to make this recipe. You might even find you have everything you’ll need on hand right now. Here is everything you will need:
- Frozen bananas. I highly recommend using frozen bananas and NOT fresh bananas, since it’s the frozen bananas that will give the smoothie its rich and creamy texture.
- Peanut butter. I used smooth peanut butter, but you can use crunchy peanut butter if that’s all you have on hand. Not craving the flavor of peanut butter? I’ve made this recipe with almond butter and cashew butter before, and it tastes just as good! To make a nut butter-free version, I’d recommend using tahini or sunflower seed butter.
- Cocoa powder. Dutch-processed cocoa powder is best, but any type of unsweetened cocoa powder will work. I’d recommend not using cacao powder, as it can be quite bitter and overpowering.
- Milk. I used unsweetened almond milk, but any type of dairy-free milk, like coconut milk or cashew milk, will also work.
How to make a chunky monkey smoothie
I’ve included step-by-step photos below to make this recipe easy to follow at home. For the full printable recipe instructions and ingredient quantities, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1- Blend. Add all of the ingredients to the blender, starting with ¼ cup of milk, and blend. Add more milk as needed to reach your desired consistency.
Step 2- Serve. Pour the smoothie into a tall glass and serve immediately.
Recipe tips and variations
- Swap the banana. If you’re low-carb or just not a fan of bananas, use frozen cauliflower instead.
- Add more protein. If I’m making this as a post-workout drink, I’ll make a chunky monkey protein smoothie by adding two scoops of chocolate protein powder (like in protein shakes).
- Thicken it up. By adding sliced avocado (like in avocado smoothies!). In fact, I always keep a container of frozen avocado on hand just to add them to my smoothies.
- Use fresh bananas. If you only have fresh bananas, I’d recommend adding a few ice cubes to help get that thick consistency.
- Boost the fiber. Blend ¼ cup of oats into the smoothie (like in an oatmeal smoothie).
- Add superfoods. Try using hemp seeds, chia seeds, or dried goji berries.
- Garnish. Top the smoothie with cacao nibs or crushed walnuts for a crunchy texture.
How to store leftovers
To store: I recommend enjoying this smoothie as fresh as possible, but if need be, you can store it in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
To freeze: To keep your smoothie fresher for longer, pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze it. Store the cubes in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy it again, place the smoothie cubes in a blender with a splash of milk or water and blend until smooth.
More healthy smoothie recipes to try
- Breakfast smoothie– Simple yet sweet and full of flavor.
- Cinnamon roll protein shake– Basically, a cinnamon roll in a glass…with 25 grams of protein.
- Smoothie bowl– You’ll never guess what the secret ingredient is!
Chunky Monkey Smoothie
- Add all ingredients into the blender and blend until desired consistency- Start with 1/4 cup milk of choice and adjust to desired thickness.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.