Learn what drinks at Starbucks are keto friendly and how to order them! Tips, tricks, and over 12 keto Starbucks drinks recipes to try!
Most people consider coffee to be liquid gold. Most of us start our days with a glass or mug of it, or pick one up on the way to work.
Most English-speaking countries, especially America, have plenty of Starbucks coffee shops on hand. It is not uncommon for some cities to have several locations within walking distance from one another!
If you follow a keto diet, Starbucks is something you’d have to pay a little attention to, as most of their offerings have hidden sugar and carbs in them. Luckily, with a few small tweaks, you can enjoy this popular hot or cold beverage WITHOUT the sugar.
How do you order a keto drink at Starbucks?
Any of the black coffee drinks, including brewed coffee, cold brew, and nitro cold brew, are all keto friendly.
However, the milk based and frozen beverages are all not suitable for a keto diet. However, with a few tweaks and changes, you can adapt some popular favorites to cut the carbs.
If you’d like a mocha, latte, or frappuccino but want to cut the sugar and carbs, here is what to sub out-
- Choose sugar free syrups. Vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, and cinnamon dolce flavors all have zero calories, zero sugar, and zero carbs.
- Swap out the milk for heavy cream. For hot or cold beverages, switch out the milk for heavy cream and cut almost all the carbs.
- Have tea instead. Unsweetened iced and hot teas are all keto friendly. Add a pump of sugar free syrup for some fun flavor.
What can I get from Starbucks that is keto?
Nearly every single beverage can be adapted to be virtually carb free. Here are 40 of the best hot and ice beverages on offer, along with tips and tricks to cut the carbs!
Hot keto Starbucks drinks
Americano: Add heavy cream for some satiety and fat. Net carbs: 0.
Brewed coffee: The easiest fall back. Net carbs: 0.
Flat white: No steamed milk, half steamed water/half-heavy cream. Net carbs: 1 gram.
Cafe misto: Swap out the milk for heavy cream. Net carbs: 1 gram.
Mocha: Replace the milk with half heavy cream, half steamed water, and sugar free mocha sauce. Net carbs: 3 grams.
Caramel macchiato: Request skinny almond milk with no drizzle. Net carbs: 3 grams.
London fog: Replace the milk with heavy cream and use sugar free vanilla syrup. Net carbs: 1 gram.
Cinnamon dolce latte: Swap out the milk for steamed water with a heaping splash of heavy cream and sugar free cinnamon dolce syrup. Net carbs: 2 grams.
Iced keto Starbucks drinks
Iced coffee: Top with heavy cream and add your favorite sugar free syrup. Net carbs: 1 gram.
Iced chai tea latte: Replace milk with heavy cream and add sugar free vanilla syrup. Net carbs: 2 grams.
Frappuccino: No milk, extra ice, heavy cream, all blended like a Frappuccino. Don’t forget your favorite syrup for that extra flavor. Net carbs: 1 gram.
Shaken espresso: Substitute the milk for almond milk or heavy cream and either sugar free vanilla syrup or cinnamon dolce syrup. Net carbs: 2-3 grams.
Blonde vanilla latte: Replace the milk with heavy cream and two pumps of sugar free vanilla syrup. Net carbs: 2 grams.
Pineapple tea: Add pineapple fusion to any of the iced teas. Net carbs: 1 gram.
White drink: Ask for a splash of heavy cream instead of milk, two pumps of sugar free vanilla syrup, ice, but no water. Net carbs: 2 grams.
Nitro cold brew: Every keto dieter’s favorite beverage, enjoy this simply as is. Net carbs: 1 gram.
Keto friendly food at Starbucks
While none of the bakery items, lunch options or sandwiches are keto friendly, there are a few offerings available that are under 5 grams of net carbs.
- String cheese- 1 gram net carbs.
- Country archer smoked Turkey jerky- 5 grams net carbs.
- Country archer beef jerky– 5 grams net carbs.
- Squirrel classic almonds– 3 grams net carbs.
- Salami and cheese plate– 0 net carbs.
- Avocado spread– 1 gram net carbs.
While there are no specific ‘keto friendly’ drinks at Starbucks, you can adapt some of the popular ones to be low carb. One of my favorites is a frozen blended beverage, so here is how to make your own keto drink.
- Espresso– Either an espresso capsule (like Nespresso), freshly brewed coffee (extra strong) or even instant coffee mixed with boiled water.
- Milk of choice– Unsweetened coconut milk and almond milk are lowest in carbs, but small amounts of whole milk will also work. To take it up a notch, you can also use heavy cream or whipping cream.
- Sweetener– Erythritol, monk fruit sweetener, keto brown sugar or even keto powdered sugar.
- Ice– The smaller the cubes are, the easier it will be to blend and yield a creamier drink.
- Whipped cream– Optional, but adding keto whipped cream adds a delicious touch.
- Syrup– Again, optional, but you can drizzle some sugar free chocolate syrup or caramel syrup on top.
In a high speed blender, add the espresso, milk (or cream), sweetener, and ice, and blend until completely smooth. Pour into a tall glass and, if desired, add some whipped cream and chocolate syrup on top.
What drinks at Starbucks are keto friendly?
Sure, you can get a few delicious options from your local Starbucks, but get this- You can make your own HOMEMADE keto Starbucks drinks and recipes at home. They are not only 100% keto friendly and low carb, but they are much cheaper that any coffee shop. You’ll find homemade iced beverages, hot drinks, and even holiday beverages and more. Over 12 easy and delicious recipes to try, that take minutes to make and use simple ingredients.
Keto Starbucks Drinks
Frequently Asked Questions
Unfortunately, none of the Starbucks bakery, breakfast, or sandwich options are suitable for a keto diet. Luckily, you can make many of them at home, including brownies, sandwiches, lemon cake, bagels, and cinnamon rolls.
The Starbucks app makes it a little different to order keto swaps. However, you can do it by ordering items individually, like espresso, heavy cream, sugar free syrup, and hot water or milk. Alternatively, you can order a milk-based beverage but request no milk and add a note for heavy cream to be substituted.
To order a caramel macchiato with keto swaps, request no milk and instead, use heavy cream and swap out the caramel syrup for sugar free syrup.
Unsweetened ice coffee is suitable for a keto diet. It has no carbs and no added sugar. However, at close to $4 for a tall cup of it, make your own.
Keto Starbucks Drinks (12 Recipes!)
- Add the coffee, milk (or cream), sweetener, and ice cubes in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the drink into two glasses and top with whipped cream and sugar free caramel syrup. Enjoy immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.