Extremely thick and fluffy pancakes which are low in carbs and healthy too! These low carb pancakes are loaded with protein (without protein powder!), fiber and with no sugar whatsoever! Naturally gluten free, paleo, keto, low carb and with a tested vegan option!
Keto Almond Flour Pancakes
If you ever give me limp and flat pancakes, I will brandish you in the section where I keep cilantro and parsley. For those of you who know me well, know that I think cilantro and parsley are God’s gift to the naughty.
Back to pancakes.
When it comes to pancakes, I need them to be thick, fluffy and most importantly- Filling. Through multiple pancake experiments (as evidenced in these black forest pancakes, Anzac biscuit pancakes and cinnamon bun pancakes), I’ve come to realise the key to fluffy, thick and filling pancakes are 3 things- My beloved coconut flour and almond flour.
Keto Pancakes with coconut flour
Almond flour and coconut flour are the ultimate combinations which yield perfectly thick pancakes.
Uber fluffy pancakes.
Through much trial and error, I’ve come to find that when paired with coconut flour, almond flour yield a much better result that their whole counterparts.
Back in 2013, I shared keto pancakes based on an Australian classic cookie- The Anzac biscuit. The base has always been one of my standby recipes to consistent fluffy pancakes. I was keen to see if I could make them completely grain free and paleo friendly by omitting my usual rolled oats.
Not only did they turn out great, they also became that even fluffier and thick! When looking over the ingredients, I realized the final product was ridiculously low in carbs and high in fiber which meant one thing- GO CRAZY ON THE TOPPINGS!
I present breakfast for you now- Extra thick and fluffy low carb vanilla pancakes!
How to make fluffy keto pancakes
These healthy fluffy low carb pancakes are quick, easy and filling and perfect to load on the toppings! They are light, fluffy and extremely thick. They key to the perfect thick and fluffy pancakes (besides the two key ingredients!) is the cooking method!
While it may be a little more time consuming that standard pancakes, the extra couple of minutes and SO worth it- Trust me! These ‘cakes are naturally paleo, gluten free and grain free and for my vegan friends- I’ve tried it with a twist which works out well, albeit a tad on the flat side.
EDIT TO ADD- Please read this recipe post for trouble shooting.
Keto Protein Pancakes
For the pancakes
- In a large mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and set aside.
- In two small bowls, separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- Add the egg yolks, coconut milk, and liquid stevia to the dry ingredients and mix very well. If the batter is too thin, add extra almond flour. If the batter is too thick, thin it out with a little extra coconut milk.
- Whisk the egg whites well, until slight peaks start to form. Slowly fold into the pancake batter and allow to sit to thicken approximately 5 minutes.
- Grease a non-stick pan on medium heat. When hot, pour small 1/4 cup portions of batter and if possible, place a lid on top. When bubbles start to form on the edges, flip and continue cooking until slightly golden. Repeat until all the pancake batter is used up.
- Prepare your optional glaze by combining all your ingredients and drizzling over the cooked pancakes.
More delicious pancake recipes? Gotcha covered!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.