These keto bagels are chewy and dense in the middle and have a tender crust, they taste like the real thing! Made with just 5 ingredients, these have no yeast in them!
You’ve come to the right place if you are after the best-tasting low-carb bagels.
There are so many keto bagel recipes out there, but none of them come close to achieving the texture of a traditional wheat-based bagel. This one, however, is the real deal.
Table of Contents
- No resting time. It takes less than 15 minutes to bake.
- Best texture and flavor. The bagels are chewy in the middle and have a light yet dense crumb. There is no eggy, cheesy, or any weird taste (thanks to the fathead dough).
- Easy to customize. Like any good bagel, you can add your favorite toppings, seasonings, and/or herbs.
What are keto bagels made of?
As mentioned earlier, this recipe calls for just 5 simple ingredients. Here is what you’ll need:
- Almond flour– Blanched almond flour or superfine almond flour, not almond meal. The former two will yield a light and tender crumb.
- Baking powder– Gives the bagels some rise and fluffiness.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese– Low-moisture mozzarella cheese is best, as it will yield a more chewy bagel with a golden exterior. I’ve tested it with other kinds of mozzarella, and they were decent.
- Cream cheese– Full-fat cream cheese, NOT reduced-fat varieties.
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs. You can also add an extra egg yolk to be used as an egg wash.
- Toppings– Everything but the bagel seasoning, garlic powder, sesame seeds etc.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How to make low carb bagels
Step 1- Prepare the ingredients. Start by whisking together the almond flour and baking powder in a small bowl then set it aside. Next, add the mozzarella cheese and softened cream cheese to a microwave-safe bowl. Melt the two cheeses together in 20-second spurts, stirring each time, until they both are mostly melted. Whisk them together until combined and smooth.
Step 2- Process the dough. Next, let the cheese mixture cool slightly, before transferring them into a food processor. Add two of the eggs and dry ingredients and pulse everything together until a smooth and sticky dough remains.
Step 3- Shape into bagels. Now, sprinkle some almond flour onto a flat kitchen surface. Using lightly wet hands, transfer the dough onto it divide it into 8 portions. Roll out the dough then join them at the sides to form a bagel shape. Place them on a lined baking sheet and whisk the remaining egg. Brush the top of each bagel with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Step 4- Bake the bagels. Finally, bake the bagels for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Allow the bagels to cool before slicing, toasting, and serving. Use them for keto breakfast sandwiches,
Tips to make the best recipe
- If your stand mixer has a dough blade attachment, use that to pulse everything together for a more uniform dough. It’s much easier than mixing by hand.
- Do not microwave the cheeses all at once- you must do them in 20-second spurts. This ensures they don’t burn or overcook, and be pliable enough to form the dough. No microwave? I find the double boiler method to be the next best option, but be sure to keep mixing.
- The egg wash is optional, but it gives the bagels a golden crust and holds the toppings better. You can also try melted butter.
- Use a donut pan for uniform-size bagels. Add the batter to a ziplock bag and pipe it in.
- Asiago. Also known as cheese bagels! Fold through 1/4 cup of shredded cheese into the dough, and sprinkle the tops with parmesan cheese before baking.
- Poppy seed. Sprinkle the tops of the bagels with poppy seeds.
- Cinnamon Raisin. Add 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon into the dough, and fold through 2-3 tablespoons of raisins.
- Sesame. Simple and classic- Add toasted sesame seeds on top.
- Onion bagels. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and add onion powder and onion flakes to it. Top the bagels with coarse sea salt, onion flakes, and sesame seeds.
- Everything. Add everything but the bagel seasoning over the tops of the bagels.
To store: Leftover bagels are best to be stored in the refrigerator, in a sealed container. They will keep well for up to 5 days.
To freeze: Place the bagels in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
To reheat: Microwave for 30 seconds, before slicing in half and toasting in a toaster.
Frequently Asked Questions
This particular keto bagel recipe contains 175 calories per bagel. Compared to a traditional bagel which yields at least 300 calories, they are not just low carb but also low calorie!
Low carb bagels have 2 grams net carbs per bagel.
More keto bread recipes to make
Perfect Keto Bagels
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond flour and baking powder and set aside. In a microwave safe bowl, add the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese. Microwave them together in 30-second spurts, until mostly melted. Whisk them together until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a food processor, along with two of the eggs and dry ingredients, and pulse until smooth.
- Lightly flour a kitchen surface with some almond flour. Transfer the dough onto it and divide it into eight equal portions. Roll out each piece of dough into a thin, sausage shape. Connect the sides to form bagels.
- Place the bagels onto the lined baking sheet. Whisk the third egg in a small bowl then brush it over the tops of each bagel, then sprinkle your toppings of choice. Bake the bagels for 12-15 minutes, until firm and golden on top.
- Remove the bagels from the oven and let them cool completely, before slicing and serving.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.