This Chocolate Pie is an easy and delicious dessert made with simple ingredients! Rich, creamy, and deceptively easy, this is showstopping!
I’ve been meaning to do a Keto chocolate cream pie for quite a while. Actually, after making my chocolate tart, it inspired me to make a similar recipe, but with a creamier and richer chocolate filling. What resulted was a delicious and creamy silk pie!
What is a Chocolate Pie?
This dessert is a popular chocolate dessert. It was inspired by a similar dessert with pudding texture but adapted to one that was more like a mousse.
Often called a chocolate mousse pie, this is one keto dessert that will be made on repeat!
It is sweet, rich, and loaded with chocolate flavor. It has a smooth and creamy texture, and simply melts in your mouth! No one would know this pie is completely sugar free and low carb!
Now, you can use any pie crust you wish, but for a fun twist, I used a thick, chewy brownie base instead!
How to make a chocolate pie
- Brownie Base– To give this chocolate pie the ultimate chocolate overload, replace a traditional pie crust with a brownie pie crust. I used my keto brownies, but you can use any brownie recipe you like.
- Chocolate– You have two options here. Either 100% unsweetened bakers chocolate or keto chocolate chips. I opted for the bakers chocolate, as I LOVE a richer, darker flavor. For a less dark flavor, use the chocolate chips.
- Eggs– You want your eggs to be room temperature, and also separated. Keep your yolks in one bowl, and your whites in another.
- Heavy cream– Also known as thickened cream, be sure the brand you are using has no added sugar in it.
- Gelatin– Either leaf gelatin or gelatin powder can be used. Leaf gelatine yields a much finer texture.
- Erythritol OR monk fruit sweetener– Either can be used. We want the texture to be superfine (like caster sugar), so you will need to blend it lightly before using it. Do NOT over blend it, otherwise, it will turn into powdered sugar.
- Prepare the brownies. Start by baking your brownies in a 9-inch can pan. Once it has been baked, set it aside to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate. Either in the microwave or stovetop, melt your chocolate. Once melted, let cool slightly.
- Add the egg yolks. Add your egg yolks to the melted chocolate and beat together, until combined.
- Heat your gelatin with some of the heavy cream. Add 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of heavy cream to a small saucepan. Heat on low, until it begins to simmer. Add the gelatin powder and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Beat the remaining heavy cream. Whisk the remaining heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites and add sugar. In a stand mixer or in a bowl, beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form. Slowly, add the sweetener in, one tablespoon at a time, until combined and glossy.
- Fold everything together. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture, then slowly, add in the egg white mixture, until completely combined.
- Transfer and chill! Transfer the chocolate pie mixture onto the brownies and spread out. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight, to set.
Chocolate Pie Tips
- The chocolate filling is extremely fragile. Be sure to follow the exact process written, for it to have the perfect texture together.
- For a sweeter chocolate flavor, use the chocolate chips instead of the baker’s chocolate.
- You MUST blend down the sweetener, otherwise, you risk the mousse filling to be gritty.
- If you use gelatine sheets, you should soak them before adding them to the warm heavy cream.
- For a firmer crust, bake your brownies several minutes longer than you usually do, for it to have a thick and chewy texture.
Storing and Freezing Tips
- To store: Chocolate pie should always be stored in the refrigerator, completely covered. The chocolate pie will keep well for up to 2 weeks. To enjoy, let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes prior.
- To freeze: You can freeze slices of the pie to enjoy at a later time. Keep slices in a freezer friendly container and it will freeze well for up to 2 months.
More easy desserts
Chocolate Pie Recipe
- Prepare your brownies in a 9-inch circular pan as directed. Set Aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl or in a small saucepan, heat up your chocolate until melted. Let cool slightly, before whisking through your egg yolks. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add 200 mls (3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) of heavy cream and heat on low. Once it begins to simmer, add the gelatine powder and whisk well. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly, before beating into the chocolate mixture, until combined.
- Whisk the remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Set that aside, and in another bowl, beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form. Slowly, add the sweetener until fully mixed in and glossy.
- Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture, followed by the egg white mixture. Pour over the brownie base and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight, to firm up.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.