Learn how to make the best keto pizza using a simple dough that yields a chewy and golden crust! No yeast or cauliflower needed, it has just 2 grams net carbs per serving.
If there is one fast food that takes the crown, it would have to be pizza.
I am yet to find someone who does not enjoy pizza, regardless of whatever diet they follow. This includes those who are watching their carbs or omitting them completely.
What pizza is keto friendly?
I consider myself an expert on keto friendly pizzas. I have a ton of varieties on here, including a crustless pizza, chicken crust pizza, cauliflower pizza crust, and even a pizza casserole. These are all suitable for a low carb diet and use simple ingredients.
However, I wanted to create one that used my famous fathead dough but with fewer eggs and cheese. The crust had to look, taste, and feel like an actual pizza and friends, this one is truly a game changer.
Why this keto pizza recipe will be a keto dinner favorite–
- It takes just 20 minutes to make, including time to make the dough.
- It tastes like any good pizza out there- Pizza hut, Domino’s, and Papa John’s!
- There is no yeast required.
No grains and no butter is needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is slightly thick, chewy, but with a lighter crumb. It tastes like any good pizza crust, with no almond flavor.
What is keto pizza crust made of?
- Almond flour- You must use blanched almond flour, not almond meal. The latter will yield a grittier pizza crust and will burn easily.
- Mozzarella cheese- Use a low moisture mozzarella cheese, as it keeps the crust chewy and fluffy.
- Cream cheese- Use a cream cheese from a stick or block, not a tub (spreadable).
- Eggs- room temperature eggs.
- Olive oil- to brush around the sides of the pizza.
- Pizza sauce- Store bought or homemade keto pizza sauce.
- Toppings of choice- Use your favorite pizza toppings and, of course, mozzarella cheese.
Start by sifting the almond flour to ensure there are no clumps.
Next, In a microwave safe bowl, combine your mozzarella cheese and cream cheese and microwave in 20-second spurts until cheeses have mostly melted. Whisk them together, then add the almond flour on top. Add the eggs and mix very well until a sticky dough remains.
Now, place the ball of dough onto a flat surface lined with parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment paper over it and, using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it is around half an inch in thickness. Use your hands to smooth and even out the sides until you are left with a pizza shaped dough.
Finally, place the dough onto a lightly greased pizza pan or baking sheet. Pre-bake the dough for 10 minutes. Lightly brush olive oil around the exterior of the pizza dough, before adding the sauce and toppings. Place back into the oven for 10 minutes until the crust is golden, and the cheese has melted.
Tips to make the low carb pizza crust
- Brushing the edges of the pizza with olive oil will ensure the crust becomes golden brown.
- You must pre-bake the crust before adding the toppings, otherwise, it will be slightly raw and under-cooked.
- For a lower calorie pizza crust, you can make this 3 ingredient crust. It doesn’t need to be pre-baked and can be made in advance.
Keto frozen pizza
Everyone loves the convenience of a frozen pizza, so why not have a keto option available too.
To make a frozen keto pizza, you’ll need to follow the same process as if you were going to cook it completely. However, once you pre-bake the crust, let it cool to room temperature. Once cooled, add your sauce and toppings, and cover it completely with plastic wrap (saran wrap). Place it in the freezer and keep it there for up to 2 months.
To cook from frozen, simply place the frozen pizza into a preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted.
Like any pizza, you can top it with any of your favorite toppings. Here are some of the popular ones.
- Margherita- Finely sliced fresh mozzarella cheese and sliced tomatoes.
- Vegetarian- Mushrooms, peppers, onions, olives, and tomatoes.
- BBQ chicken- Use a keto bbq sauce (instead of the pizza sauce!), shredded chicken, onions, and bacon.
- Meat lovers- Shredded ham, pepperoni, bacon, and sausage.
- Pepperoni- Double the cheese and add a thin layer of sliced pepperoni.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To store: Leftover pizza can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. It will keep well for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place slices of the pizza in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the slices for 30 seconds, use a preheated oven (180C/350F) or even toast them up in a non-stick pan.
What to serve with keto pizza
Frequently Asked Questions
While the keto pizza crust is lower in carbs than a traditional crust, it is still high in calories and fat. Like any kind of pizza, you can enjoy it in moderation. If you’d like a low calorie option, try a cloud bread pizza.
Each slice of this recipe has just 2 grams of net carbs each, and the entire pizza crust has just 8 grams of carbs.
Do not replace the almond flour for coconut flour. Both flours, while keto friendly, have different baking properties and will not yield the same results.
Keto Pizza (Like Domino’s)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Lightly grease a pizza pan or baking sheet and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the almond flour ensuring there are no clumps. In a microwave-safe bowl, add the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese and microwave in 20-second spurts until mostly melted. Whisk the cheeses together, then add the almond flour, then the eggs. Mix together until a sticky dough remains.
- On a flat surface, place a large piece of parchment paper. Transfer the pizza dough on top of it. Place a second piece of parchment paper over it. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until a half inch in thickness. Remove the top piece of parchment paper and use your hands to shape the dough into a pizza shape and smooth out the crust.
- Place the pizza dough onto the pizza pan and bake for 12 minutes, until firm.
- Remove the crust from the oven. Top with the pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings. Lightly brush the sides with olive oil and place back in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden around the edges and the cheese has melted.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and slice and serve.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.