This keto skillet cookie is a giant chocolate chip cookie that is made in a cast iron skillet! Made with almond flour and using just 6 ingredients- It’s the perfect low carb dessert sure to impress! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
I have a confession to make. For Christmas last year, I requested a cast iron skillet. Not to make any fancy stir fries or main courses, but to make desserts. Namely, skillet cookies.
I first tried a skillet cookie dessert years ago, when it came as a freebie with my pizza hut order (yes, judge me for that). There was something to magical about a giant soft and chewy cookie, enjoyed warm and dripping with vanilla ice cream.
Since being gifted my own skillets, I’ve been loving making these show-stopping desserts for many of my friends, especially when they’ve come round for dinner. While clearing the dinner plates, I would take 5 minutes aside to prep the cookie and set it in the oven and by the time we pour the coffee out- it’s done!
Now, unlike many skillet cookie recipes, this one is completely low carb and keto, but you’d never tell. It uses almond flour and has no sugar in it, and is just as ooey and gooey as any good skillet cookie out there!
Ingredients to make this recipe
- Almond flour– You want to use blanched almond flour, and not almond meal. Be sure to sift it first, to ensure there are no clumps throughout.
- Butter– Use salted butter, as you won’t need to add any extra salt, and it helps bring out the sweetness. The butter should be softened, but not completely melted.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– You have several options here for the sweetener. I used a keto brown sugar, which gives the skillet cookie a delicious flavor and darker color. You can also use erythritol or monk fruit sweetener, but your skillet cookie will be lighter.
- Egg– Room temperature eggs.
- Baking soda– Gives the cookie some rise and fluffiness.
- Chocolate/Chocolate chips– Use your favorite chocolate bar, and chop it up finely, so it will be evenly distributed throughout the cookie. Take it up a notch and fold through some chocolate chips too!
How do you make a low carb skillet cookie?
Start by preparing the cookie dough. In a large mixing bowl, mix all your ingredients, except for the chocolate. Fold through the chocolate at the end, reserving a few to top the skillet cookie with. Transfer the batter into a greased 10-inch cast iron skillet. Bake the skillet cookie in a preheated oven at 180C/350F for 10-12 minutes, until the tops are just golden brown.
Can I prepare this in advance?
This is the kind of dessert that is best made just before enjoying. If you prepare the batter in advance, the almond flour will absorb too much of the egg and harden the butter. In turn, it will fall apart as it bakes.
Can I bake these as cookies?
Making these as cookies instead of in a skillet would require different proportions of all the ingredients for them to be baked successfully.
Tips to make the best skillet cookie
- Do not overbake the cookie. It continues to cook up until you serve it, as the skillet remains hot.
- If you own mini skillets, you can bake these in 2 or 3 mini skillets instead.
- Serve this skillet cookie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or coconut ice cream.
How to store and reheat leftovers
- To store: If you have any leftover cookie, transfer it out of the skillet and place it in a sealable container. It will keep for up to 2 weeks.
- To reheat: Either reheat in the microwave (30 seconds) or in a preheated oven. If you prefer thicker and chewier cookies, you can enjoy it directly from the fridge!
More delicious keto desserts
Keto Skillet Cookie
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk all your ingredients, except for your chocolate, until combined. Fold through your chopped chocolate.
- Transfer the skillet cookie dough into the cast iron skillet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the tops are just cooked.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes, before serving.