This keto vanilla ice cream recipe is made with just 3 ingredients! Made with or without ice cream maker, it is smooth, creamy, and requires minimal prep- No heavy cream and no dairy needed! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Vanilla Keto Ice Cream
When it comes to frozen keto desserts, we love all things no-churn ice cream. Some of our favorite flavors include chocolate and cookie dough, but we are ALL suckers for a good old keto vanilla bean ice cream.
I developed this recipe after realizing how difficult it was to find a homemade keto-friendly vanilla ice cream.
Making this easy keto vanilla ice cream was an accident. I was intending on making a cashew butter frosting. I wanted to test and see if it was freezer-friendly, so I stored some in the freezer.
When I went to retrieve it, I noticed a creamy, solid block. Instead of using a spoon (or letting it thaw out), I lightly wet my ice cream scoop and scooped out what was to be an easy 3 ingredient keto ice cream.
Why make this low carb vanilla ice cream?
The taste of this creamy sugar free and low carb ice cream is incredible- You won’t believe it is made without condensed milk, without sugar, and without any heavy cream.
The texture is what you want for in any good ice cream recipe- It’s smooth, creamy and melts in your mouth!
This recipe also comes tested in two ways- With an ice cream maker or without one, using either a food processor or blender.
This creamy keto ice cream also happens to be completely vegan and paleo, as it has no dairy, but you’d never tell.
How to make keto vanilla ice cream from scratch
There are two ways to make this vanilla keto ice cream- either without an ice cream maker (no-churn!) or with an ice cream maker!
Keto Vanilla ice cream without an ice cream maker
Start by placing a loaf pan or freezer-friendly container (with lid) in the freezer, ensuring it is completely frozen. This will ensure the ice cream doesn’t become icy and hard when frozen.
Next, you’ll combine all your ingredients into a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend very well, until smooth, creamy and thick. Pour the ice cream mixture into the pre-frozen loaf pan/container and place in the freezer. To avoid the ice cream becoming icy, stir it every 10 minutes, for the first 30 minutes. Allow the ice cream to freeze for at least 4 hours.
When ready to enjoy, allow the ice cream to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes, prior to scooping.
Keto vanilla ice cream using an ice cream maker
If you have an ice cream maker, you can easily make it in the ice cream machine instead! Follow the same instructions like that in the no-churn option, but there will be no need to stir it every 10 minutes.
After 45 minutes, remove from the freezer and place it in your ice cream maker. Allow the machine to churn for 10-15 minutes, until thick and creamy. Transfer back to the pre-frozen loaf pan/container, and freeze for at least an hour.
Keto Ice Cream Ingredients and Substitutions
- Full-fat coconut milk
- Cashew butter
- Vanilla stevia
- Vodka (optional)
Cashew Butter substitutions
Although I am a fan of all nut and seed butter varieties, cashew butter works the best for this creamy keto vanilla ice cream.
Cashew butter is mild tasting and doesn’t have an overpowering flavor. This allows the vanilla flavor to really stand out, without lacking any richness or creaminess.
Stevia is needed to provide ample sweetness to the ice cream.
I used vanilla stevia, as it not only provided sweetness, but it provided a vanilla flavor.
Why Add Alcohol to Keto Ice Cream
In traditional homemade ice cream recipes, adding a shot of vodka allows the ice cream to be scoopable and remain creamy. I was worried the alcohol flavor would be evident, but I couldn’t taste it at all.
Granted, adding alcohol is not necessary, but you will need to thaw out your ice cream considerably before scooping out.
Keto Vanilla Ice Cream Tips
- Freeze your sugar free vanilla ice cream mixture in a steel bowl (mine came with my ice cream maker) or a loaf pan, for easier freezing. Also be sure to place your bowl/pan in the freezer prior, to ensure the ice cream doesn’t become ice solid around the edges.
- Thaw your ice cream at room temperature, for 10 minutes prior to serving. This will allow a much easier texture to scoop from. Also, lightly wet your ice cream scoop too.
- If you omit the alcohol and find it difficult to scoop (even when thawed), re-blend it and enjoy the ice cream with a soft-serve consistency.
- Add some mint extract for a keto mint ice cream and add some chocolate chips, for a keto chocolate chip ice cream.
- To store: Be sure you store your ice cream in a freezer-friendly container, to ensure no freezer burns happen.
- To re-freeze: Avoid re-freezing the ice cream, as it will become icy. If you are prone to enjoying smaller portions, consider storing ice cream in single-serving containers.
More EASY keto dessert recipes
- Keto Cookie Dough bites
- No Bake Cookie dough bars
- Caramel Cookie Dough Bars
- Peanut Butter Balls
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
Keto Vanilla Ice Cream (3 Ingredients)
- Place your loaf pan in the freezer and allow to freeze completely.
- In a high-speed blender, add your chilled coconut milk, cashew butter, stevia, and vodka and blend until thick and creamy.
- Pour the ice cream mixture in the frozen pan. To avoid it over-freezing, constantly stir the mixture for the first 20-30 minutes, ever 10 minutes.
- Before eating, allow ice cream to thaw at room temperature, for 10 minutes. Using a slightly wet scoop, scoop portions into a bowl.
Ice Cream Maker Instructions
- Place your loaf pan or metallic ice cream maker bowl in the freezer and allow to freeze completely.
- Add all your ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend well. Pour the ice cream maker in the loaf pan and allow to freezer slightly, for around 45 minutes. Alternatively, place the blender with the ice cream mixture in the freezer.
- Pour the chilled ice cream mixture in the ice cream maker. Churn for around 10-15 minutes, or until a thick, creamy texture remains.
- Transfer ice cream mixture to the metallic ice cream maker bowl or in the loaf pan. Freeze for at least an hour.
- Allow thawing for 5-10 minutes, before scooping.