Learn how to make a delicious smoked tuna dip with simple ingredients and easy steps. Ready in minutes; serve it as an appetizer or even a sandwich spread.
Making your own homemade dips is SO much better than anything store bought. You can taste the difference and they are easier than you think! We’ve done guacamole, salsa, and keto hummus, and recently, a smoked salmon dip. Now, we’ve added a tuna tip to the mix.
What is smoked tuna dip?
This dip is a fabulous appetizer based on tuna, cream cheese, and plenty of spices. It takes seconds to make and pairs well with crudites, served on crackers as a canape, or an individual hors d’oeuvre.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy. The entire recipe takes less than a minute to make.
- Canned or fresh tuna. You can use any unflavored canned tuna or cooked tuna.
- Easy to customize. Add extra spices, double up on the liquid smoke or use flavored tuna.
- Healthier than store bought. Compared to grocery store options, this one has half the calories and fat.
What I love about this tuna dip is just how much more effective it is to make yourself. If you are worried of recreating this fancy appetizer, don’t be- even the most novice of cooks can do it!
Ingredients to make a tuna dip
- Tuna- While canned tuna is preferred (and more affordable) you can use a freshly cooked tuna fillet too.
- Cream cheese- Full fat and softened to room temperature.
- Sour cream- Adds extra creaminess and gives a subtle tang that balances out the fish flavor.
- Green onion- Finely chopped.
- Worcestershire sauce- Adds salty and savory flavor.
- Liquid smoke– The secret ingredient that gives the dip the lovely smoky flavor.
- Spices– Garlic powder, paprika, cayenned pepper, and pepper.
- Lemon juice- As needed.
How to make a smoked tuna dip?
Mix all the ingredients: Take a bowl, add tuna, cream cheese, sour cream, green onion, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, paprika, lemon juice, horseradish, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Mix everything well until fully combined.
Refrigerate: Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Serve: Like any good dip, serve it with crackers, vegetables, chips, or anything you like.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Avoid over-mixing the ingredients to allow the tuna to keep some of its flaky texture.
- Avoid adding too much liquid smoke to the mixture- the flavor will intensify while it is chilling.
- Always use good quality canned tuna that is free from BPA’s and preservatives.
Wondering how long with smoked tuna dip last? Here are best practices for tuna dip storage.
- To store: You can keep smoked tuna dip in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, covered.
- To freeze: Place leftovers in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More appetizer recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can add liquid smoke to tuna.
Tuna takes smoke well; however, it can be affected based on the type of fish you choose. The best tuna that you can use for smoking is Albacore tuna.
You can smoke canned tuna, but since it’s already cooked, you risk it drying out.
Smoked Tuna Dip | Ready in 2 minutes
- Add all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and gently stir until combined.
- Cover the mixing bowl and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes, for the flavors to meld and the dip to thicken.
- Transfer to a serving dish and enjoy.