This simple cake batter dip is perfect for parties and gatherings. Lightened-up with greek yogurt and cool whip, it’s light, fluffy, and tastes like a cake batter.
Funfetti anything is always a good idea for parties and gatherings. Made with only three ingredients, this dessert-style dip is easy for feeding many people.
Why this recipe works
- Only three ingredients. Flavored like a cake mix, this sweet dip is a terrific treat everyone will love. And the best part is, it’s made with only three ingredients.
- Ready in 5 minutes. If you have people coming over with zero ideas about what to serve, whip up this dip and stop worrying about the dessert.
- Light and creamy. Made with Greek yogurt, this cake batter dip is lighter and lower in calories than dips made with cream cheese.
What I love about this recipe is how easy it is to customize! I like making chocolate chip cookies or chopping up some brownies for fun dessert dippers; everyone is a fan!
As mentioned earlier, this recipe calls for simple ingredients that don’t require running to the store! Here is what you’ll need:
- Yogurt. Plain Greek yogurt is what makes this deep so light. You can also use plain vanilla yogurt.
- Cool whip. As cool whip is sold frozen, defrost it in the fridge before using it.
- Cake batter mix. I use funfetti cake mix for this recipe. You can use a plain vanilla cake mix and add colorful sprinkles.
- Sprinkles (Optional). Sprinkle over the cake mix before serving it.
How to make cake batter dip
Making this cake batter mix takes just a couple of minutes. Don’t forget to transfer the cool whip from the freezer into the fridge a few hours before.
Mix the yogurt with a cool whip to make this cake batter mix. Then add the cake batter mix and mix gently until fully combined.
Transfer the cake batter dip to a serving bowl and serve with your favorite crackers or dessert bites.
How do you heat treat boxed cake mix?
As you won’t be cooking the cake mix for this recipe, it is important to heat treat it first. The flour in the dry cake mix may contain harmful bacteria.
Heat treat boxed cake mix by spreading it on a baking sheet and baking it for 5-6 minutes in the oven preheated to 350F degrees. Allow the cake mix to cool before making the cake batter dip.
Both boxed and homemade cake mixes should be heat-treated.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Defrost the cool whip in the microwave. Cool whip may take up to 8 hours to defrost in a bigger tub. If you don’t have time to defrost it or have forgotten to remove it from the freezer, use the microwave defrost setting to thaw it out quickly. Microwave cool whip at 30-second intervals and stir it between the microwave sessions until fully defrosted.
- Serve with fruit. This cake batter dip tastes just as good when served with fruits. Fruits are healthier than crackers and cookies and will be the perfect companion for this skinny cake batter dip.
- Use gluten-free cake batter mix. Substituting regular funfetti cake mix with its gluten-free counterpart is a way to make this sweet treat gluten-free and perfect for people who have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten.
Dry cake batter mixes come in a range of flavors. You can use your favorite to make this dip. Here are a few ideas.
- Chocolate. Use chocolate cake mix to make the best chocolate cake dip. Sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles as a finishing touch.
- Red velvet. Swap regular mix for red velvet cake mix for the perfect Valentine’s Day cake batter tip. Top with white chocolate sprinkles.
- Lemon. Use lemon cake mix if you love citrus-flavored everything. Top the lemon cake batter dip with yellow sprinkles, and some lemon zest, and serve with your favorite crackers or lemon drop cookies.
What to serve with this dessert
The best thing to accompany this dessert dip is cookies or sweet crackers. The more plain the cookies are, the better. Try shortbread cookies, sugar cookies, or something nut-based, like almond butter or peanut butter cookies.
Chocolate desserts also work well, like chopped-up brownies (over-bake them, so they are extra chewy!) or a chocolate cake that has been cubed up.
If you’d like to keep things lighter, apple slices work very well, as do strawberries and raspberries.
To store: Transfer leftovers into an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 2 days. Allow the dip to soften at room temperature, and you can dip the crackers and cookies into it.
To freeze; If you have made a big batch of dip that you can’t finish within two days, freeze it. Cake batter dip lasts up to 30 days in the freezer. Thaw frozen cake batter dip in the fridge overnight.
More simple dessert recipes to try
- No bake oatmeal cookies
- Coconut cookies
- Brownie bites
- Edible brownie batter
- Edible cookie dough
- Cookie dough bites
Frequently asked questions
Dry cake batter mix should be heat treated as raw flour may contain harmful bacteria. The same goes for the raw cake batter. You shouldn’t eat raw cake batter as it can make you sick.
No cake mix should be eaten raw if it contains flour. Bake funfetti cake mix in the oven preheated to 350F degrees for around 5 minutes.
Cake Batter Dip (3 Ingredients)
- 1 1/2 cups cool whip thawed
- 1 cup non fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup Funfetti cake mix heat treated
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cool whip and yogurt until combined. Slowly stir through the cake mix until a thick mixture remains.
- Transfer into a bowl and serve immediately or chill it until ready to serve.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Cheesecake was always my favorite on my birthday 🙂 sounds like you’re a nicer sibling than I ever was to my sister! Happy birthday Nikki 🙂
Happy birthday to Niki! I am totally making this, with my favorite Skoop protein powder. Have you tried it yet? I really think it’s the best!
YES! You need to try this! I have tried skoop from Alexis, it’s not my favorite as it doesn’t work as well in my recipes but it tastes delicious 🙂
Happy B-day to Niki! It’s fun. It’s my sister’s birthday on Saturday and I am going to post a brithday recipe for her tomorrow. But I haven’t found decent sprinkles yet 😉
Oh yay! I hope she spoiled you rotten for it 🙂
Happy Birthday to Niki! What a fun recipe and how sweet that you posted a recipe idea for her birthday! I probably wasn’t the best of siblings. However, I do seem to remember my brother handcuffing my doll to the swing set and then throwing the key over the fence… My favorite birthday cake? Cheesecake maybe or a molten chocolate lava cake perhaps…
Hahahaha that is such a classi move. Although a swing set might have been extreme! Oh molten lava cakes are my weakness!
I love this post. Happy birthday, Niki! You two are the best siblings. I was the nice one of me and my sister, obviously. I could destroy this cake batter too. Looks so good!
Hahaha obviously….not. :p
Oh my word I love this. You are a funny one, Arman. Australians always have the best sense of humor 😉 Happy Birthday to your sister 🙂
Naw, thanks so much Ashley! That’s so nice of you!
HAHAHAHA can i be the third kardashian to you two!? I’m obsessed with your family and still have never met them. this is every reason why i am disappointed in being an only child. will you adopt me?
AND is this the recipe that you were telling me i would be excited for!??! because YOU WERE RIGHT and even though you don’t recommend the whey, i just feel like the Cellucor Corfetti would be a crime not to use in this.. i might need to test it out tomorrow.. with cake batter cashew butter =l good heavens. I’m turning into Tim Gunn #projectrunway (would Niki approve of that show?)
YES! Actually, you can be our Malika aka our modern day slave.
You NEED to make this. It has your allergic name on it.
I was the best sibling! My brother would say “OW! Mom, Mandy hit me!” when I was nowhere near him, like in another room and I always got in trouble for it. So my brother better make this for me on my birthday and toast the heck out of me. Happy birthday, Niki!
Hahaha I can relate to that…oops! He’d better!
Hahaha…what a great post! My sister and I fought like cats and dogs when we were little…but now we are bestest friends. I never would have imagined that! Happy birthday to Niki…and happy birthday to me with this delicious cake batter for one idea!
Dude, she made you the most epic dessert ever. It would be criminal not to be in her good books!
Aw what a sweet post to your sister! My birthdays in a few weeks and I always ask for carrot cake but have yet to get it. Maybe this year!
Oh yay! I’ve got a carrot cake recipe coming up so we can eat it together!
SUPER FUN birthday tribute! happy birthday Niki!
😀 Thanks buddy!
Dear Arman, I always get a kick out of you and Niki. So many things you mentions brought back memories from when my kids were young…like pokemon and the furby. Although, I must admit I loved the furbies more than my kids! I still have them…but I took the batteries out. I wish Niki a wonderful day! Adorable post and what a fun birthday dip. Take care my friend, Catherine
hahaha right? Oh those pokemon and furby days! That’s so funny, my mum said the very same thing! 🙂
Happy birthday Niki!
Ohhh, I have to think about the ideal birthday cake thing, considering that my birthday is in 9 days. I usually ask for ice cream cake or something with a lot of chocolate.
I feel like Craig and I were typical siblings as kids…sometimes we got along, most of the time we didn’t. It did get better as we got older though.
OH what! I’ll send Channing Tatum over with a skittles cake.
Happy birthday to Niki! What a fun tribute post, hope her day was great! This recipe looks amazing, I’m totally trying it! I’m one of 5, we all have our moments of niceness 🙂 Even if we don’t live together anymore, we’ve still remained so close! My ideal birthday cake is ice cream cake. All of the ice cream cake!
Oh wow, one of five- Nice one! You’ve left me craving ice cream cake now!
Happy Birthday Niki! You can tell you are one proud brother… even if you tease her so much! 😛
Oh I used why protein to make your banana bread cake batter and it turned out fantastic! Must just depend on what one you use.
Reading this has made me want to message my brother right now 😀
Hahaha thanks Jen! Oh yay- I think it does but generally whey is more liquid as opposed to thicker- Which is a good thing haha- thicker = more questionable fillers 😛