This sugar free ice cream is smooth, creamy, and made with just 3 ingredients! No ice cream maker needed, it’s quick to make and easily customizable!
The Best Sugar free ice cream
If you are after the best tasting sugar free ice cream recipe, you’ve come to the right place.
I mean, it doesn’t require an ice cream maker to make and uses just three ingredients.
Oh, and it has the best texture: smooth and creamy, and no metallic aftertaste (which many sugar free desserts are guilty of!).
If you’ve made any of my healthy ice cream recipes before, you would definitely have everything on hand! Here is what you’ll need:
- Coconut milk– Canned and full fat coconut milk. Chill them the night before in the refrigerator, so the cream portion will separate from the liquid.
- Heavy cream– Also known as double cream or thickened cream.
- Powdered sugar substitute– A sugar free version of powdered sugar. I used keto powdered sugar. Alternatively, you can use allulose, but you’ll need to increase the mount.
- Vanilla extract– Optional, but gives a light vanilla flavor.
- Vodka– Optional, but makes the ice cream even more scoopable and creamy.
How to make sugar free ice cream
Simple is an understatement for this recipe. It honestly takes less than a minute to prep the mixture and then the hard part is waiting for it to set! I promise you, though, it will be worth it.
Ready to make some ice cream?
Step 1- Make the ice cream mix
Start by separating the cream from the liquid in the cans of coconut milk and add it to a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat the coconut cream until thick and creamy.
In a separate bowl, add your heavy cream and beat until soft peaks form. Beat in the powdered sweetener and vanilla extract, if using it. Next, fold through the heavy cream into the coconut cream until combined.
If using the vodka, add that in at the end.
Step 2- Let it freeze
Now, transfer the ice cream into a loaf pan and cover completely with plastic wrap. Place it in the freezer for 2-3 hours, or until frozen. Let your ice cream sit at room temperature for 10 minutes, before serving.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Place your loaf pan in the freezer prior to making the ice cream.
- The vodka (or any spirit) is completely optional, but makes scooping the ice cream much easier. There is no vodka or alcoholic taste at all.
- The ice cream will be hard when removed directly from the freezer. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes first, before scooping out.
The beauty of this ice cream is that it acts as a blank canvas. It’s so easy to customize with a plethora of flavors
- Chocolate– Add 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Chocolate chip– Fold through 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips.
- Mint- Add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract and chopped up peppermint bark.
- Strawberry– Fold through 1/4 cup sliced strawberries.
- Salted caramel– Drizzle 1/2 cup keto caramel sauce.
- To store: Ice cream should always be stored in the freezer completely covered. If there are any open pockets, the ice cream will get freezer burnt.
- To re-freeze: I don’t recommend re-freezing your ice cream more than once, or it will become icy. Instead, place the ice cream into several sealable containers or individual plastic tubs for smaller servings.
More ice cream recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
While this ice cream has no sugar in it and would be considered suitable for diabetics, always seek professional medical advice to ensure it is suitable for you.
Most grocery stores stock sugar free ice cream options with a plethora of flavors. Always check to see which sugar substitute is used to ensure it doesn’t spike blood sugar levels.
Sugar Free Ice Cream With 3 Ingredients. | Just 2 Minutes Prep
- Place a loaf pan in the freezer.
- From the cans of chilled coconut milk, separate the cream portion from them and place it in a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat together until smooth and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, add your heavy cream and beat together until soft peaks form. Add the sweetener, vodka, nd vanilla extract, if using them, and beat until combined.
- Slowly fold the whipped cream into the heavy cream mixture and mix until combined. Transfer to the chilled loaf pan and cover completely. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours to firm up.
- Let your ice cream sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes, before serving.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.