A delicious, high protein, gluten free savoury pancake recipe! Chock full of hidden vegetables, this wholesome meal is low in calories but not low in flavours!
Wassup Wontons? …Why did I make it a goal to start each post with something different. I’m one week in and already at wits end. So be it.
The last few weeks I’ve posted a Lamington pancake recipe and an Anzac biscuit pancake recipe. Two Aussie classics made into pancake form. To change up for the sweet recipe train, I’m moving to a more savoury route with today’s recipe.
Five. Five is the magic pancake number. Five what you must be asking yourself. Well, as with the other two recipes, this recipe took me five tries to perfect. One of her goals was to post easier recipes and I’m trying to do the same too. Whilst coconut flour, peanut flour and a variety of seeds and nuts are great, not everyone has them on hand. I’m hoping to limit down the ingredient list and ensure the majority (if not all) are basic staples or have easy substitutions!
Healthy Sweet Potato and Cheddar Pancakes
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour wholewheat and plain will also work
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup loosely baby spinach chopped finely
- 1/2 cup cubed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup grated cauliflower
- 1/2-3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Oil/cooking spray
- Sriracha/hot sauce/tabasco to serve
- Greek yogurt/sour cream to serve
- Salsa to serve
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, milk and egg (or egg whites) and stir until just combined.
- Add the baby spinach, cubed sweet potato, grated cauliflower, shredded cheese and spices and mix until fully incorporated.
- Coat a frying pan with cooking spray/oil and allow to heat on low until hot. Once hot, add batter 1/4 cup at a time and cover. Once bubbles start to form, flip and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until golden on the outside. Repeat the process until all the batter is cooked.
- Serve pancakes simply with hot sauce/greek yogurt/hot sauce or simply eat as it is!
Hope you all have a great start to your weekend- Don’t forget to pop by Sunday for another edition of Spill it, Sundays- and feel free to join in!
Have you ever had a savoury pancake before?
Are you a fan of goat’s cheese or other soft cheeses?
Do you enjoy spice? If so, favourite brand of hot sauce? I need to broaden my repertoire…