This easy-to-follow Peppermint Patty recipe yields a delectable combination of creamy mint filling coated in smooth, rich chocolate. All you need is three ingredients and less than five minutes to prep.
Homemade candy is my jam.
Why fork out money on store-bought candy bars when you can make your own? If you’ve made our kit kat bars, peanut butter cups, or almond joy before, these peppermint patties need to be next on your agenda!
Table of Contents
What are peppermint patties?
Peppermint patties are a sweet confection that features a minty filling covered in chocolate. York peppermint patties are one of the most popular peppermint patties you can find.
Similar to after-eight or after-dinner mints, the filling is typically made with condensed milk but our homemade recipe skips that but keeps all the flavor and texture!
- Only 3 ingredients. Similar to coconut bars and peanut butter balls, this recipe calls for only 3 ingredients.
- No added sugar. Made with coconut butter, these patties are naturally sweetened.
- Vegan and gluten-free. Store-bought peppermint patties almost always contain multiple allergens. These homemade patties don’t contain any eggs, dairy, or gluten.
As mentioned earlier, you’ll need just three ingredients to make this peppermint patty recipe. Here is everything you’ll need.
- Peppermint extract. Use pure peppermint extract for the best flavor.
- Coconut butter. Don’t confuse coconut butter with coconut oil. The former is made from actual coconut meat.
- Chocolate chips. You can use any chocolate chips of your choice. Dark chocolate pair best with peppermint as its rich flavor contrasts nicely with the fresh flavor of peppermint.
How to make peppermint patties
Making peppermint patties at home is very easy. Patience is all that’s needed as you wait for the patties to firm up.
Step 1 – Melt the chocolate
Melt a cup of chocolate in the microwave or on the stove. Distribute it evenly between a 24-cup mini muffin pan lined with muffin liners. Ensure that the sides are covered with chocolate and refrigerate until set.
Step 2 – Prepare the peppermint filling
Add the peppermint extract to the coconut butter and mix well. If the butter is too thick, slightly melt it until it’s creamy and can be mixed easily.
Step 3 – Finish the chocolate shells and let the patties firm up
Remove the muffin tin from the fridge and evenly distribute the coconut butter filling among the muffin cups. Melt the remaining chocolate and cover the tops of the patties. Refrigerate until the top chocolate layer is firm.
- Sweeten the peppermint filling. If the natural sweetness of the coconut butter is not enough for you, sweeten it with maple syrup, honey, or another liquid sweetener of your choice.
- Make your own coconut butter. Making coconut butter at home is actually quite easy. Simply add the unsweetened coconut flakes to a high-speed blender or food processor and blend on medium power until a smooth and creamy mixture remains.
- Use more chocolate. If you prefer a thicker chocolate filling, simply melt a cup more chocolate. If you have leftover melted chocolate, pour it on parchment paper, cool it, and reuse it for other recipes (like chocolate coconut bars or chocolate peanut butter balls!).
- Temper the chocolate. To make sure that the patties have a smooth and glossy finish and don’t melt easily when you touch them, temper the chocolate. Tempering is the process of heating and cooling the chocolate to certain temperatures.
To store. While you can leave these patties at room temperature, we recommend you keep them in the fridge to prevent the filling from softening. These will last 1 to 2 weeks in the fridge stored in an airtight container.
To freeze. You can freeze peppermint patties for up to 2 months. Put sheets of parchment in between the patties to prevent them from sticking to each other.
York peppermint patties contain sugar, corn syrup, cocoa and cocoa butter, peppermint oil, as well as such allergens as milk, eggs, and soy.
Dark chocolate and peppermint are a classic combination which is why peppermint patties are most often made with dark chocolate. You can buy or make peppermint patties made with milk and even white chocolate.
Peppermint oil is an essential oil derived from peppermint leaves. Peppermint extract, on the other hand, is a mixture of this oil and alcohol.
As peppermint oil is very potent and not always safe for consumption, it is best to always use peppermint extract for baking and confectionery.
Peppermint Patties (3 Ingredients)
- Line a 24-count mini muffin tin with muffin liners and set aside.
- Melt 1 cup of your chocolate chips and evenly distribute between the mini muffin tins, ensuring the sides are covered in the chocolate. Refrigerate.
- If needed, slightly melt your coconut butter until smooth and creamy. Add your peppermint extract and mix well.
- Remove the firm chocolate shells and evenly distribute the coconut butter/mint mixture amongst them. Melt the remaining half-cup of chocolate chips and cover the tops of the peppermint patties. Refrigerate until firm.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.