These air fryer bagels take just 10 minutes to make and need just 2 ingredients! No yeast needed, they are chewy and easy to customize!
I’m loving making non-traditional recipes in my air fryer.
Sure, I love making vegetable dishes (like zucchini and cauliflower) but to be honest, it’s the baked goods I love the most. Some favorites include air fried donuts and even cookies. My current obsession is air fried bagels!
Why air fry bagels?
- 2 Ingredients only. for the bagel dough itself, you need just self rising flour and yogurt- That is it!
- No yeast or resting time required. Most bread recipes require some resting time, but not these bagels!
- Easy to customize. Fold through or top the bagels with your favorite toppings.
- Ready in 8 minutes. The beauty of the air fryer is that the bagels take just 8 minutes to cook!
How to make bagels in the air fryer
- Self rising flour– A combination of all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. You can skip buying it at the supermarket and just make your own.
- Yogurt– Any thick yogurt works, like Greek, coconut, or soy. Ensure that it is not flavored.
- Butter– Optional, but adding a brush of melted butter on top gives the bagels the golden brown crumb.
- Toppings- Add your favorite bagel toppings on top.
Start by mixing the flour and yogurt in a mixing bowl. Once combined, transfer onto a floured surface and knead several times until smooth.
Next, divide the dough into four portions. Using your hands, roll the dough out into a sausage shape and connect them at both ends to create a bagel.
Now, brush the exterior of each bagel with melted butter and sprinkle with your favorite bagel toppings. Transfer them into an air fryer basket lined with parchment paper.
Finally, air fry the bagels for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the bagels from the air fryer and let them cool completely, before slicing and spreading with your favorite toppings.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket, as the bagels are prone to spreading and rising. I can comfortably fit 3 bagels in, but if your air fryer basket is bigger, you can go for 4-5.
- If you don’t want to brush the bagels with butter, you can also use milk or cream.
- Once the bagels have cooked and cooled, slice them in half.
Bagel topping and mix- in ideas
Here are some fun flavors to get you started-
- Everything bagel seasoning– The classic New York style bagel topping everyone is obsessed with!
- Cheese– Asiago, cheddar, or mozzarella cheese.
- Dried or fresh fruit– Blueberries, raisins, or cranberries.
- Seeds– Poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or even sunflower seeds.
- Spices– Italian herbs, cinnamon, smoked paprika, onion, and garlic.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To store: Air fried bagels can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Place leftovers in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to six months.
- Reheating: Microwave for 20-30 seconds or reheat in the air fryer for 1-2 minutes.
More air fryer recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
You can toast all bread-like products in the air fryer instead of using a toaster. To do this, preheat the air fryer to 200C/400F. Add the halved bagel or two slices of bread in the air fryer basket and air fry for 3 minutes.
Add the frozen bagel to an air fryer basket linked with parchment paper. Air fry at 180C/350F for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. To have the bagel toasted at the end, increase the heat to 200C/400F for the last ten minutes.
If you use a dairy free yogurt (like coconut or soy yogurt), these bagels are vegan.
Use a gluten free self rising flour like Doves Farm.
Air Fryer Bagels (2 Ingredients!)
- 1 3/4 cups self rising flour
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds or favorite bagel toppings
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour and yogurt and mix until combined. If the dough is too thin, add more flour. If the dough is too thick, add more yogurt.
- Lightly flour a kitchen surface and transfer the dough on top. Knead it several times, then divide it into 8 portions.
- Roll out each portion of dough into a long, sausage shape and connect them at both sides to form a bagel.
- Line an air fryer basket with parchment paper. Brush the top of the bagel with the melted butter then sprinkle your favorite bagel toppings.
- Place 3 or 4 bagels in the air fryer basket and air fry at 180C/350F for 10 minutes, or until golden around the sides.
- Remove the bagels from the air fryer basket and place the remaining bagels to cook. Repeat the process until all the bagels are air fried.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
I’m so happy I found and tried this recipe 😭
Can they be made in an air fryer that is the toaster oven style???
Can I make it keto by substituting the all-purpose flour w/ almond flour or lupin flour?
Someone tried almond flour successfully. I haven’t personally.
So easy, but so delicious!!! 😋😋😋
Tried these today .So easy so delicious will never buy from a bakery or a supermarket again .
Nice crunch on the outside and lovely texture inside .
SERVED with cream cheese capers and salmon .
Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe.
Can I use gluten free flour, and dairy free plain yogurt instead of Greek?
Yes provided the flour is gluten-free self rising.
So easy…I loved your eady flat bread recipe as well,!
With these things jumping in price to buy readymade it’s a no brainer to make your own!! Once you’ve done it you’ll never go back to bought shop food!!
Delicious! Easy easy! Even for a VERY lazy cook like me!
Deliciously simple and easy will make it again