Get ready to embrace your inner child with these air fryer pizza rolls! Easy homemade pizza rolls made from scratch and ready in under 10 minutes!
Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
You’ve finally jumped on the air fryer train which means you need to have a plethora of foods to air fry! The world is truly your oyster as to what to air fry, but my personal favorite is pizza rolls…from scratch!
Why air fry pizza rolls?
- It’s fast. One of the big selling points of using an air fryer, it can cook food in under 10 minutes. Take these pizza rolls for example. If I baked them in the oven, they’d need closer to 40 minutes! Bonus? There is no preheating needed either (that cuts a full 15 minutes already!).
- Healthy. Using an air fryer can reduce cooking fat and oils by up to 90%. Many recipes don’t even need any oil at all!
- Fuss free. All you do is add the pizza rolls to the air fryer basket and fry away- That is it! No parchment paper, no tongs, nothing!
These air fryer pizza rolls are different from most out there. Instead of using frozen packaged pizza rolls, we’ll be making them from scratch! Now, don’t be intimidated by this- The pizza dough we use is a magic 2 ingredient dough and doesn’t require any yeast whatsoever!
The texture is crispy and golden on the outside, but fluffy and loaded with fillings in the middle. The rolls are cheesy and flavored with all your favorite pizza toppings!
Pizza rolls are one of the most popular frozen foods to cook in your air fryer, but put a few minutes aside to make them from scratch- Your health and taste buds will thank you. If you are worried your kids won’t enjoy them as much, get them involved in the cooking process!
How do you make pizza rolls in the air fryer?
- Self rising flour– A simple combination of all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Avoid buying the store-made ones and simply make your own.
- Greek yogurt– Non-fat Greek yogurt or any thick yogurt.
- Pizza sauce– I love using a homemade pizza sauce, but store bought ones will work just as well.
- Cheese– Mozzarella is a must for any good pizza-style recipe.
- Pizza toppings– Olives, peppers, onions, ham, bacon, etc.
- Olive oil– To brush around the exterior of the rolls, to give them the golden finish.
Start by preparing the pizza dough. In a large mixing bowl, combine your self rising flour and yogurt and mix together until a thick dough remains. If the dough is too sticky, add a little extra flour. If the dough is too thick, add a dash more yogurt.
Next, transfer the dough onto a lightly floured kitchen surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a rectangular shape, around 1/4 of an inch in thickness. Spread the pizza sauce all over the dough, reserving around half an inch around the perimeter. Add the cheese and pizza toppings then roll up jelly style. Once rolled up, use a sharp knife to cut 8 portions, leaving 8 pizza rolls.
Now, gently brush the exterior and top of the pizza rolls with olive oil. Place them in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook at 200C/400F for 8 minutes, moving them around halfway through. Remove the pizza rolls from the air fryer and serve them immediately.
Can I use frozen pre-made pizza rolls?
Yes! Totinos and Annie’s both make pizza rolls (also known as pizza poppers or hot pockets). Cooking these in the air fryer is a little different as they aren’t the scroll style (pictured).
- For regular frozen pizza rolls– Air fry the pizza rolls for 8-10 minutes, shaking them halfway through.
- For mini pizza rolls– Air fry the pizza rolls for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Dietary swaps and variations
The beauty of making the pizza rolls from scratch is that you can make them diet friendly or be creative with the fillings.
- Make them vegan. Use a dairy free yogurt (like coconut yogurt) and plant based cheese.
- Make the gluten free. Use gluten free self rising flour (like Dove Farms) and be sure the pizza sauce is certified gluten free.
- Make them vegetarian. Omit the idea of adding bacon, ham, chicken, etc.
- Create dessert pizza rolls. Replace the sauce with homemade Nutella and add crushed nuts, berries, or other fruit.
Tips to make the best air fryer rolls
- You must brush the exterior with olive oil before adding it to the air fryer. This ensures they don’t dry out and have a lovely golden brown finish.
- If your pizza ingredients aren’t super salty or are plain tasting, add some salt to the dough.
- For the ultimate cheesy pizza rolls, sprinkle extra cheese on top of them halfway through them being air fried.
Storing, freezing, and reheating pizza rolls
- To store: Air fried pizza rolls can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. They will keep well for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Leftover pizza rolls can be placed in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: You can definitely reheat the pizza rolls again in the air fryer. Place them in the basket and air fry for 2 minutes, until crisp around the edges.
More air fryer recipes to try
Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your flour and yogurt and mix well, until a smooth dough remains. If the dough is too thick, add extra yogurt. If the dough is too thin, add a little extra flour.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a rectangular shape, around half an inch in thickness. Spread the pizza sauce on top, leaving room around the perimeter of the dough. Add the cheese and pizza toppings of choice, before rolling it up, jelly roll style. Use a wet knife to slice into 8 portions.
- Lightly grease an air fryer basket. Brush the exterior of the pizza rolls and place them in the air fryer basket. Air fry at 200C/400F for 8-10 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Remove the pizza rolls from the air fryer and serve immediately.