These chicken fajitas are an easy, healthy, and low carb dinner recipe that takes just 10 minutes to make! Tender, seasoned chicken with bell peppers, onions, and plenty of spices.
We are a family that loves a healthy chicken recipe.
Why this chicken fajitas recipe will be a dinnertime favorite-
- Ready in 10 minutes. From prep to plate, this entire dish takes less than 10 minutes to cook. It’s perfect for a quick and healthy dinner.
- All made in one skillet or pan. Everything from the vegetables to the chicken is cooked in the same skillet or pan. This means clean up is at an absolute minimum!
- Simple and cheap ingredients. No crazy expensive spices, vegetables, or cuts of chicken needed.
The secret to the best chicken fajitas you’ll ever eat is using a homemade chicken fajita seasoning. Sure, you can easily buy packets of instant fajita seasoning mixes, but they add tons of fillers and hidden sugars and are never as delicious as the homemade kind. Besides, you probably have all the spices in your spice rack now!
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe
Chicken fajita seasoning and marinade
- Smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Chilli powder
- Lime juice
For the fajitas
- Chicken breasts– Skinless and boneless chicken breast fillets that are thinly sliced.
- Olive oil– A flavorful oil to cook with.
- Onions– White onions are preferred, but red onions also work too.
- Bell peppers– Use a mix of yellow, red, and green peppers.
How to make chicken fajitas?
Start by adding your sliced chicken into a ziplock bag. Add the fajita seasoning spice and marinade mix ingredients and shake everything together until the chicken is well coated.
Next, add the olive oil into a large skillet or non-stick pan. Add the seasoned chicken and cook for 7-8 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan, then add the vegetables. Sautee for 3-4 minutes, until they have softened before pushing them to one side.
Now, add the chicken back into the pan and cook everything together for two minutes, before removing them from the heat and serving immediately.
Chicken fajita calories
Not only are these fajitas a healthy and nourishing meal, they are also low in calories.
Per serving, there are just 185 calories and 32 grams of protein. When adding a low carb tortilla, guacamole, and salsa, there are just 350 calories.
Storing, freezing, and reheating instructions
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled chicken and vegetables in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to six months.
- Reheating: If you are in a pinch, microwave everything for 30-40 seconds, but if you have time, they taste incredible reheated in a non-stick pan until you hear them sizzling.
More easy Mexican recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Chicken fajitas are one of the healthiest Mexican food or even dinner recipes out there.
The best way to cut chicken for these fajitas is thin, 1/2-inch strips. Be sure to cut against the grain so there are no tough or rubbery pieces.
What sets a fajita apart from other foods is the meat used. You’ll never see ground beef or ground chicken- Instead, it is skirt steak or chicken breast that is thinly sliced across the grain.
Best Ever Chicken Fajitas
For the chicken fajita seasoning
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 limes divided
For the chicken fajitas
- 2 large chicken breasts thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 large green bell pepper
- 1/2 large yellow bell pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken fajita spices, garlic, and the juice of one lime.
- Add the chicken strips into a ziplock bag, along with the spice and garlic mixture. Shake until the chicken is fully coated.
- In a large skillet, add one tablespoon of the olive oil. Place it over medium heat and once hot, add the seasoned chicken strips and cook for 6-8 minutes, until fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and add the remaining olive oil. Add the onions and bell peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes, until soft. Push the vegetables to one side, add the chicken back in and squeeze the second lime all over. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes, then serve.