This honey mustard chicken recipe is the most decadent way to cook chicken breasts. Ready in under 20 minutes, the sweet and tangy sauce takes it to another level.
We regularly cook chicken for dinner.
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this honey mustard chicken recipe
I often make it as a weeknight dinner when I’m short on time and want something hearty, healthy, and approved by everyone in the family!
- The chicken is juicy and flavorful. The honey mustard sauce adds a lot of flavor to chicken breasts while baking them in heavy cream makes them extra juicy.
- We use simple ingredients. You only need a few pantry and fridge staples to make this dish. Just like peri peri or marry me chicken, don’t let your eyes fool you, this chicken dish is deceptively easy to make.
- This is ready in 20 minutes. If you are having a lazy night but still want to enjoy a good dinner, this is the dish to make (or our sheet pan chicken and veggies!).
The honey mustard sauce itself needs a few basic ingredients and besides chicken and spices, there isn’t much else that goes into this recipe. Here is what you’ll need:
- Chicken. I use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. Cut them in half lengthwise.
Boneless chicken thighs and chicken tenders can also be used if you prefer them over breast meat.
- Heavy cream. To make the sauce extra creamy and rich.
- Mustard. Dijon mustard works best for this recipe. You can use spicy brown or whole grain mustard if you prefer.v
- Honey. The sweetness of the honey pairs amazingly with the warm and tangy flavor of the mustard.
- Garlic. To add flavor.
- Rosemary. To make the dish more aromatic.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
- Olive oil. To sear the chicken.
- Parsley. Fresh parsley for garnish.
How to make honey mustard chicken
This recipe is very simple and follows a simple 3-step process. Besides prepping the sauce, there isn’t much else that goes into it. Ready to make some chicken?
Step 1- Make the honey mustard sauce
Add Dijon mustard, honey, crushed garlic, salt, and pepper to a bowl. Mix well until fully combined.
Step 2- Sear the chicken
Dip the chicken breasts in the honey mustard marinade and let them sit for 10 minutes. Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Sear the chick for 4 to 5 minutes on medium-high heat until the honey caramelizes.
Step 3- Continue cooking the chicken in the oven.
Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Pour the heavy cream into the cast iron skillet. Add the sauce, and sprigs of fresh rosemary, and bake the chicken for 15 minutes.
Remove the honey mustard chicken from the oven. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and serve.
The dreamy honey mustard sauce and juicy chicken beg for something to soak up those juices, so serve them over rice or some mashed potatoes.
If you want something lighter, try a green goddess or orzo salad. We also like to keep things simple with some sauteed vegetables. Broccolini, brussels sprouts, and potatoes are all fabulous pairings.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Sprinkle the chicken with some grated parmesan before removing it from the oven. Parmesan will add a nice cheesy flavor and create a beautiful golden crust.
- Bast the chicken with more honey mustard sauce halfway through the cooking process for extra flavor.
- Add some acidity, like apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, to help balance out the sweetness of the sauce.
- Use a meat thermometer to make sure the chicken is cooked. Once it reaches an internal temperature of 165F, it’s ready to serve!
To store: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container. This recipe lasts up to 5 days in the fridge.
To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled chicken in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
To reheat: Either microwave the chicken for 30-40 seconds until hot, or in a non-stick skillet/pan.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Cast iron skillet. The best way to cook this chicken that yields juicy and tender meat every time.
- Non-stick skillet. No cast iron skillet? A non-stick one works well too.
- Meat thermometer. To check the doneness of the chicken.
More delicious chicken breast recipes
- Tuscan chicken
- Stuffed chicken breast
- Chicken Milanese
- Chicken Marsala
- Lemon pepper chicken
- Chicken piccata
- Chicken Caprese
Frequently asked questions
Honey mustard sauce is good for chicken, fish, and beef. You can also drizzle it over vegetables or salad.
You can marinate chicken in the honey mustard marinade for up to one hour.
There is no flour or gluten-derived ingredients needed to make this chicken dish, so it is suitable for celiacs.
Any sticky sweetener can replace honey. We recommend maple syrup, agave nectar, or coconut syrup.
Honey Mustard Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F.
- Prepare the sauce by mixing the honey, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Dip the chicken in the marinade and let everything marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add the chicken and sear on both sides. Cook the chicke for five minutes, until the honey caramelizes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir through the remaining sauce, heavy cream, and rosemary. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes, until the cream mixes into the sauce and bubbles.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.