This banana bread mug cake is a healthy way to satisfy your banana bread cravings, minus the oven! Ready in just one minute, it’s a single serving dessert made with no eggs or milk!
However, I needed something a little healthier, and something that would NOT be polished off within 2 days….an issue I do have with a good sweet bread recipe. Enter- a banana bread for ONE.
This healthy banana bread mug cake is a delicious single-serve sweet treat that takes just a minute in the microwave or 10 minutes in the oven! It’s incredibly moist and gooey on the inside while being tender on the outside!
It’s also suitable for many dietary lifestyles out there- It’s paleo, vegan, and gluten free!
How do you make a banana mug cake?
- Banana– Mashed, overripe bananas are best, as they add extra sweetness.
- Almond butter– I used almond butter, you can use any nut or seed butter of choice. Be sure that it is smooth and creamy, not crunchy!
- Coconut flour– Holds the batter together, and gives the mug cake the fluffy and cake-like texture. Do not substitute or omit this for something else.
- Milk of choice– I used unsweetened almond milk, but you can use any plant based/non dairy milk.
Start by greasing a large mug or cereal bowl. In a small mixing bowl, add all your ingredients and mix well, until a thick batter remains. If the batter is too thick, add extra milk. Transfer to the greased mug and microwave for 1 minute, before removing and letting sit for a minute, before enjoying.
Can I make this in the oven?
Yes, if you don’t own a microwave, you can make this in the oven instead.
Simply grease an oven safe ramekin or 8-inch baking dish and bake the mug cake at 180C/350F for 10 minutes.
Tips to make the best banana bread in a mug
- Coconut flour brands differ, and some are thicker than others. If your batter is more on the crumbly side, add more milk to compensate.
- Microwave wattage differs, and you may need to cook your mug cake longer than a minute. Remove after a minute and if it isn’t cooked well enough, continue microwaving in 30-second spurts.
- This mug cake isn’t overly sweet and relies on the banana for sweetness. If you’d like a sweeter mug cake, add a tablespoon of maple syrup or agave nectar.
- Feel free to add some mix-ins to change up the flavor. Chopped walnuts, raisins, and chocolate chips are all fantastic options.
Storing and Freezing Tips
- To store: If you’d like to enjoy the mug cake at a later time, you can let it cool completely, before covering and refrigerating it, for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Freeze the mug cake by placing it in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
More delicious mug cake recipes to try
- 100 calorie chocolate mug cake
- Almond flour chocolate mug cake
- Blueberry mug cake
- Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
- Coffee Cake Mug Cake
Watch how to make it
Banana Bread Mug Cake (1 minute!)
- Grease a microwave safe bowl or mug.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine your mashed banana and coconut flour and mix very well. Add your nut butter of choice and mix into it- It should be a VERY thick batter.
- Using a tablespoon at a time, add milk of choice until you reach a thick batter. Stir through the chocolate chips is desired.
- Microwave for 1 minute, or until cooked through.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and coat an oven safe ramekin with oil and set aside.
- Prepare the mug cake batter, before transferring it into the oven safe ramekin. Bake for 10 minutes.