Learn how to make irresistible 3-ingredient chocolate Rice Krispies at home. Made with chocolate cereal and naturally sweetened, this moreish, no-bake recipe takes just 5 minutes to combine.
Although I wasn’t allowed to have much cereal growing up, I have more than made up for it by making nostalgic desserts out of it.
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
- 3 Ingredients and 5 minutes. Seriously, you could not find a more simple dessert recipe than this.
- Perfect texture and flavor. The texture is crispy (obviously!), chewy, and gooey simultaneously. It’s rich in chocolate flavor and so addictive, I dare you to stop at one!
- It’s healthier than the classic recipe. I have made this recipe without dairy butter, margarine, or the oversweet marshmallows. So, it is dairy-free and vegan-friendly!
What I love about this recipe is that it’s perfect to scale up if you need to bring this to a party, or gathering, or when you have a last-minute need to bring a plate somewhere (true story!).
These chocolate rice krispie treats are so easy to make and use pantry staples. Here is what you’ll need:
- Chocolate rice crispy cereal. The most crucial ingredient for this recipe! Any cocoa rice crisps work, but I recommend choosing a good quality brand, as I’ve found they remain crispy for a long time versus the cheaper brands.
- Almond butter. I love the almond butter flavor, but you can use any nut butter. I tried it with peanut butter but found it a little overpowering.
You can make these treats nut-free using tahini or sunflower seed butter. Opt for the smooth variety for easy mixing.
- Maple syrup. It adds some extra sweetness and also binds the bars together. If you prefer honey, use it instead!
How to make chocolate rice krispies
These nostalgic dessert bars may look fancy, but I promise you, they are so quick to whip up.
- Prep the pan. Line a tin square pan with baking paper and set it aside.
- Melt the liquids. Melt almond butter and maple syrup in a microwave-safe bowl or stovetop until smooth.
- Make the mixture. Measure out the cereal in a large bowl, pour the melted liquid mix over it, and mix until combined.
- Set the chocolate rice krispies. Transfer the mixture to the prepped pan, press it down, and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes. Once it firms up, slice it and serve.
Tips to make the best recipe
Grease the parchment paper. Coat the parchment paper lightly with oil spray to prevent the mixture from sticking.
Get the perfect squares. Dip your knife in warm water or melted butter before slicing into the slab to make the perfect squares.
Make them in advance. Because they stay fresh for a week, you can make them a few days before your party.
To store. These chocolate Rice Krispies are stored well at room temperature in a sealed container for a week. If you’d like to keep them longer, store them in the fridge for up to two weeks.
To freeze. Place the bars in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More no bake treats to try
Frequently asked questions
Yes, of course! Use salted or unsalted melted butter to bind the mixture together. You can also use brown butter for additional caramelized flavor.
Unfortunately, these chocolate rice crispies are not gluten-free. The store-bought rice crispies contain malt, which contains gluten. If you’re allergic to gluten, I suggest you look for certified gluten-free chocolate rice crispies.
Chocolate Rice Krispies
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your crispy rice cereal and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl or stovetop, melt your almond butter and maple syrup together, and then pour the mixture into the crispy rice cereal and mix well.
- Pour mixture into the lined baking tray and press firmly into place. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.