This keto meatloaf is moist, extra juicy, and topped with a sweet and tangy glaze! Made with simple ingredients, it’s a low carb dinner recipe you’ll make over and over again! 3 grams net carbs per serving.
When it comes to classic homestyle food made low carb, my favorite recipes to make are lasagna, mac and cheese, and this keto meatloaf.
I’m a sucker for classic comfort food, and it stems from my mom being a fantastic cook. We rarely ate takeout and most nights my mom would make dinner from scratch. Of course, my sister and I had our favorites (anything with potatoes…), but nothing beat her classic meatloaf.
I’ve stolen her original recipe and given it a few tweaks to make it keto friendly and by golly, is this recipe an absolute keeper!
Why this keto meatloaf recipe will be your new favorite-
- Extra juicy! Seriously, this is one of the juiciest and moist meatloaves that will have you begging for seconds (or thirds!).
- Simple ingredients. Keto recipes have an unfair stigma that they use expensive and hard-to-find ingredients. This is NOT the case for this recipe, as it uses simple and affordable ingredients (that you probably have in your freezer and pantry right now!).
- Stable and sturdy. No, this meatloaf isn’t dense- It’s sturdy enough that it doesn’t crumble or fall apart once you slice it up!
- Kid friendly. How do you know if you’ve got a winning recipe on hand? Ensure it is kid-approved.
As mentioned above, the texture of the meatloaf ticks all the boxes. It’s moist and juicy in the middle and is perfectly cooked on the outside! It’s meaty, hearty, and topped with a simple sweet and tangy glaze!
What I love about this meatloaf is that the leftovers make some incredible sandwiches. I love adding a thick slice between some keto bread or buns and slathering it with some bbq sauce– It’s making me salivate right now!
Ingredients in this low carb meatloaf
For the meatloaf
- Ground beef– For any good meatloaf, I recommend you use ground beef that is 80/20 (80% lean and 20% fat). If you are in Australia, that is 3-star beef mince. Using fat free ground beef or full fat ground beef will yield a too dry and too wet meatloaf, respectively.
- Onion– Either grated or finely chopped onion. The smaller the pieces of onion are, the more tender the meatloaf will be.
- Garlic– Finely minced.
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs .
- Ketchup– Use your favorite sugar free ketchup or homemade keto ketchup.
- Milk– I used unsweetened coconut milk but any milk can be used.
- Keto bread crumbs– Crushed up pork rinds are a low carb alternative to breadcrumbs or panko bread crumbs. You can also use almond flour if you prefer.
- Parsley– Freshly chopped, not the dried kind!
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
For the meatloaf glaze
- Ketchup– Again, I used my keto ketchup which tastes just like traditional ketchup…minus the carbs.
- White vinegar– To balance out the intense sweetness and add some tang.
- Brown sugar substitute– Homemade keto brown sugar.
How do you make keto meatloaf?
Mix together the meatloaf ingredients and transfer them into a lined loaf pan. Bake it for 40 minutes, before adding the glaze on top and baking for a further 15 minutes. Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes, before slicing it up. Be sure to drizzle the pan juices over it for extra flavor.
Tips and FAQ to make the BEST recipe
What happens if you don’t put crumbs in the meatloaf?
Breadcrumbs help soak up some of the more wet ingredients and also yield a more tender dish. As breadcrumbs are not keto friendly, we use crushed-up pork rinds instead, which actually gives the meatloaf an even more delicious flavor.
Alternatively, you can also use almond flour or blanched almond flour.
Is it better to cook meatloaf covered or uncovered?
If you omit the meatloaf glaze, you should cover your meatloaf halfway through the cooking process, so it remains extra juicy in the middle. You can remove the tin foil cover five minutes before it is done to have the tender exterior.
What is the ideal internal temperature of meatloaf?
The ideal internal temperature of meatloaf is 70C/160F. When testing the temperature, be sure to do so in the middle of the meatloaf.
Flavor and recipe variations
While this meatloaf recipe sticks to the classic, here are some other ways to jazz it up for some variety!
- Bacon wrapped meatloaf– Wrap the pre-cooked meatloaf with bacon strips, using toothpicks to hold them in place. The bacon will become extra crispy while keeping the meatloaf gloriously moist.
- Turkey meatloaf– Replace the ground beef with ground turkey. Like the beef, avoid using extra lean turkey.
- Chicken meatloaf– Replace the ground beef with ground chicken. I often do this by adding skinless chicken thighs to my food processor.
- Meatloaf muffins– Instead of baking the meatloaf in a loaf pan, bake them in a muffin tin. Reduce the cooking time to 20 minutes and cover the pan after the glaze is added.
- Stuffed meatloaf– Add half the meatloaf mixture into the loaf pan, followed by diced bacon and several slices of mozzarella cheese. Top with the remaining meatloaf mixture.
Storing, freezing, and reheating meatloaf
- To store: Meatloaf can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place leftover meatloaf in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the meatloaf for a minute or reheat in a preheated oven for 5-6 minutes. Be sure to brush the exterior with some water to ensure it doesn’t dry out.
What to serve keto meatloaf with?
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Keto Meatloaf recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Best Ever Keto Meatloaf
For the meatloaf
- 2 lbs ground beef 80/20 * See notes
- 1 medium onion grated/finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar free ketchup
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon milk of choice I used unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon parsley freshly chopped
- 3/4 cup keto bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
For the meatloaf glaze
- 3/4 cup sugar free ketchup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar substitute
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F. Line and grease a 9 x5-inch pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the meatloaf ingredients and mix well. Add the meatloaf to the greased pan and shape it into the loaf shape.
- Transfer the meatloaf into the oven and bake for 40 minutes. While it is baking, prepare the glaze by whisking together all the ingredients until combined.
- After 40 minutes, remove the meatloaf and spread with the glaze on top. Bake for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes, before slicing. Drizzle with baking juices from the pan. Sprinkle with extra parsley.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
I’ve made these three times in less than a month. meatloaf is so easy and so delicious. Thanks for the great recipe!
So great to hear that!
I grew up in an Italian household in New Jersey, my mother couldn’t even taste the difference between her recipe and mine thank you for sharing this and keep up the great work!
This was insanely delicious. Mine did fall apart, but I realized I packed it down too hard/firm and the fats/juices had nowhere to escape to! Next time I will form it better.
But wow, the taste. I am amazed. I did add a bit more garlic to suit my taste (but that was the only change!) I spent some time today messaging people to send it around. Absolutely wonderful!
Very very good! The only change I made was that I used almond flour instead of pork rinds so I decided not to add the milk. It still held its shape and tasted great. My family loved it.
I am so happy I found this site. There are so many great recipes that I am excied to try!
I have to admit that I tweek every recipe a little bit. I let out the ketchup from the meat mixture, and added extra garlic and 1/2 tsp onion salt, and a couple of dashes of cayenne pepper. Otherwise, followed to the letter, and hands down this is the best meatloaf recipe keto or otherwise. It was flavorful, it was moist, it didn’t give me heartburn…WINNER!
What is the serving size?
8 servings per meatloaf
Sorry, what oz or grams per serving? Tasted great by the way! 😋
Not sure- We just slice it into 8. Enjoy!
Can I switch the white vinegar for apple cider vinegar? I’m all out of white vinegar 😣