Learn how to make restaurant-style lamb kabobs at home using this simple recipe. Made with a smashing marinade, lamb pieces have a beautiful char on the outside, are juicy on the inside, and overall, utterly delicious!
Looking for easy grilling recipes? Look no further than these easy chicken tenders, rainbow trout, or this delicious tomahawk steak. Or make the most of the summer barbeques and slay the crowd with this fantastic, no-fail lamb skewers recipe.
Table of Contents
What are lamb kabobs
Lamb skewers, also known as kabobs, feature small pieces of lamb marinated in Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, or Central Asian spices threaded on the skewers and traditionally cooked on an open flame.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Looks incredible. Like beef kabobs, with the veggies and lamb threaded on the skewers and charred to perfection, these skewers look incredible. An instant hit with the crowd, serve it with vibrant green chutney.
- Flavorful. The marinade is loaded with bold flavors of garlic, soy, balsamico, and Italian herbs. You’ll love how they cut through the meaty lamb.
- Juicy. When uniformly grilled, the meat is incredibly succulent and complements the crunch of bell peppers and onions.
With a short trip to the supermarket and your pantry, you’ll be ready to make these tasty lamb kabobs. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Balsamic vinegar. For the acidity.
- Soy sauce. For the salty, umami flavors that develop well when grilled.
- Worcestershire sauce. It enhances the marinade’s complexity thanks to the umami, sweet, and salty flavors.
- Olive oil. I have used olive oil, but any neutral oil will work.
- Italian seasonings. Go for the mixed Italian herbs. If you have individual dried herbs, use oregano, parsley, and thyme for the marinade.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
- Onion powder. It works as an excellent aromatic. You can also use fresh onion for better caramelization.
- Garlic powder. For the bold garlicky flavor. You can also substitute it with fresh garlic paste.
- Lamb steak. Use a meaty but tender piece of steak for the skewers. I like using lamb loin or lamb shoulder.
- Yellow and red bell peppers. Chop the bell peppers into squares roughly the size of meat cubes.
- Onions. Cut them into squares like the bell peppers. When grilled, onions become slightly sweet and get an excellent smoky flavor.
How to grill lamb kabobs
Enjoy grill-hot lamb skewers in your backyard by following these straightforward steps.
Step 1- make the marinade
Whisk balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasonings, salt, olive oil, pepper, soy sauce, garlic, and onion powder in a bowl and add bite-sized lamb cubes to it. Cover the bowl and marinate it in the refrigerator.
Step 2- Skewer and grill
Discard the excess marinade and alternately thread lamb and vegetable cubes onto skewers. Grill the meat evenly on all sides by rotating the skewers frequently.
Rest for 5 minutes and serve hot.
What to serve with lamb skewers
Tips to make the best recipe
- Choose tender cuts. Pick a tender, boneless cut from the shoulder or leg for the best texture, flavor, and mouthfeel.
- Marinate for longer. The longer you marinate the lamb, the more tender it’ll become. I like marinating the lamb overnight in a resealable plastic bag in the fridge.
- Sprinkle spices after grilling. When the meat is almost cooked, sprinkle spice powder or leftover marinade to reinforce the flavors.
- Let your kebab rest for a few minutes. Resting for 2-3 minutes helps to redistribute the heat and juices within the meat.
- Use cumin, fennel seeds, and chili flakes. Make a dry rub of spices using cumin, paprika, salt, and fennel seeds. Use this spice mix to marinade your lamb pieces for a Middle Eastern-flavored dish.
- Make peri peri lamb skewers. If you love our peri peri chicken, use the same seasoning mix for this lamb!
- Bell pepper substitutes. Feel free to swap bell peppers with pineapple cubes or tomatoes. Alternating with juicy fruit/veggies keeps the meat moist.
To store. When kept in an air-tight container, the meat skewers store well for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
To freeze. Although I don’t recommend it, you can freeze these skewers once they have cooled completely. Don’t forget to mark the freezing date and consume within two months for the best texture and flavor.
To reheat. If using frozen skewers, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight or until completely thawed, and then reheat them in the oven or skillet.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Grill. The answer to all my barbequing needs.
- Skewers. To thread the lamb and veggies.
- Tongs. To rotate the skewers so that they cook on all sides.
More lamb recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
I often use bamboo skewers to grill kebabs or veggies. Soak wooden skewers in water for 3-5 hours to prevent them from burning.
Metal skewers are reusable and they work well too. Just ensure your metal skewers have plastic/silicon/rubber handles to hold them. You don’t want to grill your hands accidentally!
Also, use flat skewers, not round ones, to prevent the meat from sliding out.
You can combine the ground lamb with the marinade ingredients. I’d skip the liquids like vinegar and sauces for easy meat handling. Make cutlets and wrap them onto the skewers. Grill them on a barbeque and serve them hot.
Absolutely! Layer the skewers on a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 440F for about 15 minutes. Flip them halfway through baking to cook on all sides.
- 1 lb lamb loin boneless
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 red onion quartered
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients.
- Cut the lamb into bite sized cubes and place in a shallow bowl.
- Pour the marinade over it and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Discard the marinade. Thread the lamb and vegetables onto eight skewers.
- Place the lamb kabobs onto the hot grill and grill for 4-5 minutes on each side, turning regularly to ensure all sides are cooked.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.