This rainbow trout recipe is grilled to perfection and takes less than 8 minutes to make! Learn how to grill fillets or the whole trout for a healthy and delicious dinner idea!
The BEST Rainbow Trout Recipe
Move over, salmon: there are other fish to add on the grill. Try a fillet of grilled rainbow trout. This white fish is absolutely delicious and takes minutes to cook. Not only is it healthier than most other seafood out there, but it is so darn versatile. It’s best seasoned simply with salt and pepper, but you can jazz it up any way you like!
What does rainbow trout taste like?
Rainbow trout is a popular white fish with either a white, red, or orange flesh. The flavor is mild, with a subtle nutty flavor. It’s a fantastic seafood to introduce to kids or those who are skeptical of seafood, thanks to its mild flavor and soft and flaky texture.
The best part about rainbow trout is that it’s easy to find and comes in fillets or as an entire fish! We prefer the fillets but also enjoy grilling the entire trout in one go.
Ingredients you’ll need
This healthy grilled rainbow trout is very basic: all you need is either fillets or a whole fish and a few spices and you are done. Here is what you’ll need:
- Rainbow trout fillets. Choose skinless and boneless fillets, as they are easier to cook and absorb more flavor.
- Olive oil and butter. To pan fry and add extra buttery flavor.
- Lemon juice. Freshly squeezed or bottled juice.
- Garlic. Added at the end of the cooking process with the butter to make a simple sauce.
- Seasonings. Salt and pepper.
How to grill rainbow trout?
Rainbow trout is simple to make: the only thing to remember is that you’ll need to pat dry the fillets to ensure there is no excess moisture before seasoning them. Here’s the basic idea of how to grill trout (or see the recipe below for specifics):
Step 1- Season
Start by pat drying the trout fillets before sprinkling salt and pepper and rubbing lemon juice on both sides.
Step 2- Grill
Next, add the oil to a grill and cook the fish for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through. Add the butter, parsley, and garlic at the end.
Step 3- Serve
Finally, serve the freshly grilled fish with pan juices over the top.
Grilled whole rainbow trout
If you’d like to grill the entire rainbow trout (instead of the fillet), here is how you’ll do it:
- Bring the fish to room temperature, then season all sides with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and enough olive oil to cover it.
- Place it on a non-stick pan or grill and cook the fish for 15-17 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Once the skin is crispy and the trout has an internal temperature of 165F, remove it from the grill and let it sit for 10 minutes, before flaking and serving.
What’s the best way to store rainbow trout? Here are best practices for grilled fish storage:
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to three days.
- To freeze: Place the grilled and cooled fish in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
- Reheating: Microwave the fish for 30-40 seconds or reheat in a non-stick pan until crispy.
How to serve rainbow trout
The beauty of this grilled fish is that it is so perfect to pair with tons of sides or options. Here are several ways we like to serve grilled rainbow trout:
- With a dipping sauce like cheese sauce, ranch dressing, alfredo sauce, or potsticker sauce.
- Over a bed of mashed cauliflower, cauliflower rice, or curry fried rice.
- With a salad like spinach salad, coleslaw, couscous salad, or cauliflower potato salad.
- With vegetables like roasted cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, or broccoli.
More grilled fish recipes to try
FAQS about this rainbow trout recipe
Should you remove the trout skin before cooking?
It’s unnecessary to remove the trout skin before cooking it. The skin has its own flavor and makes the fish crispy once cooked. Remove fish scales if you’re using fresh trout, though.
Can you cook grilled rainbow trout in the oven?
Yes, you can cook rainbow trout in the oven. If you follow this option, add some butter to both sides to ensure the fish doesn’t dry out.
What are the best ways to use leftover grilled rainbow trout?
Rainbow Trout Recipe | Cooks in just 6 minutes!
- Pat dry the trout before seasoning it with the salt and pepper. Rub the lemon juice all over each fillet.
- Add the oil to a non-stick pan over medium heat. Place the trout fillets flesh side down onto the pan, pressing lightly so that it sears. Sear for 3-4 minutes, until crispy and golden. Flip and cook for a further two minutes. Add the butter, garlic, and a pinch of fresh parsley, and stir around each fillet.
- Remove from heat, drizzle with extra butter and sprinkle with more parsley.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.