This easy rocky road bars recipe tastes BETTER than the Annabelle’s classic. Fluffy marshmallows, chewy caramel, and crisp cashews, all coated in chocolate. This is the perfect combo of textures and flavors!
Recreating the popular Rocky Road bars in the comfort of your own kitchen is quick. It’s a little more time-consuming than my rocky road fudge, but it is worth the extra effort.
You’re sure to impress everyone who tries them. I love bringing them to parties or serving them up with a coffee in the afternoon.
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
- Perfectly “rocky” texture. The soft marshmallows surrounded with a layer of gooey caramel and crunchy nuts create the perfect rocky road texture for this dessert.
- Only 5 ingredients. You need only five simple ingredients to bring these homemade bars to life.
- Quick and easy. No baking is required- You simply prepare and set the bars. It’s super easy to find time in a busy week to make these.
To recreate a copycat version of the classic candy bar, I’ve kept things simple with a handful of similar ingredients. Here is everything you will need:
- Marshmallows. Use large marshmallows for this recipe. I like using Jet-Puffed by Kraft, but any marshmallows will work.
- Caramels. Choose soft caramel candies for easy melting. My preferred brand is Werther’s Original, but any supermarket caramels will be fine.
- Heavy cream. To melt the caramel candies.
- Cashews. Chopped. Cashews keep the flavor of the bars as close as possible to the originals. You can also customize this option to your own taste – pecans, peanuts, walnuts, hazelnuts or almonds are all wonderful choices! Mixed nuts would also work.
- Chocolate. To melt and cover the candy bars. I prefer milk chocolate melts or chocolate chips for this recipe, but dark chocolate is also a great alternative.
How to make rocky road bars
Step 1 – Make the base. Unwrap the caramels and add them to a small saucepan or microwave-safe bowl. Add the chocolate chips and melt until smooth. Stir in the heavy cream.
Step 2 – Combine. Fold through the cashews and mini marshmallows until fully incorporated.
Step 3 – Set. Transfer the mixture to a lined pan and refrigerate the candy bars for 20 minutes or until the chocolate has completely set.
Recipe tips and flavor variations
- Roast your nuts. Roasting nuts (or buying pre-roasted nuts) will help achieve a richer, more authentic flavor. If you’re roasting your own, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place them in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10-15 minutes. Allow them to cool before chopping.
- Roll in puffed wheat cereal. Once you cover the marshmallows in caramel, roll them into a mixture of chopped nuts and puffed wheat cereal for some additional texture. Puffed wheat cereal can also be used as a substitution for nuts if you are concerned about allergies.
- Sprinkle with sea salt. Salt is a secret ingredient that I always take advantage of. Just a little helps bring out the flavor of the chocolate. Sea salt pairs exceptionally well with dark chocolate.
To store: Place any leftovers in an airtight container. These are best stored in the fridge and will last for up to 2 weeks. Allow them to sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving for a smoother bar.
To freeze: Place the candy bars in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to two months.
More homemade candy to try
Frequently asked questions
Rocky Road candy bars are made by the Annabelle Candy Company. They have been in production since the 1950s.
Of course! You can customize the ingredients to suit your preferences. You can use different types of chocolate, nuts, mini marshmallows, and mix-ins like dried fruit, cookies, peanut butter, or candies to create your own personal flavor combination.
Rocky Road Bars
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate
- 1 cup caramel candies unwrapped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup roasted cashews chopped
- Line an 8×8-inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe bowl or saucepan, melt chocolate and caramel together until smooth. Stir in heavy cream. Fold in marshmallows and cashews.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and spread it out evenly. Chill for 1-2 hours, before slicing and serving.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.